Error code help - chk eng - this can't be good

I have rebuilt my engine and put everything back together.... My 05rxt, had its return to the lake yesterday for the first time in 2 yrs.... I bought it with a blown up engine from a dropped valve and yesterday was its first run... I was obviously super excited.... That was short lived

It was a salt water ski when i bought it and i dont think it had been loved very much.... i took my time getting everything right and have given it a new life... Please help, this thing owes me a lot of $$$ and time... I didn't cut any corners and have given it the royal treatment over the past 2 yrs.

Starts runs no problems... I took it to a dealer a few weeks ago to have the key coded and check over it for me make sure I hadn't missed anything....

It shows "sensor" when the key is attached then shows "Seadoo" shortly after.... I thought this was just a normal part of the startup cycle as the dealer didnt mention anything... I now realise I was wrong.

I get to the water yesterday and after taking a good time to warm it up at idle I took a few gentle rides for over a 20 min period.... including switching it off and on and slowing back to idle between quick runs... I couldn't help myself and gave it a run at wot for no longer than 30-40 seconds.... Slowed down then got a chk engine message on the instruments... Turned it off and it went away... I Started to head back to the ramp only 4-5 mins ride at a medium pace and then I think it went into a limp mode and seamed to bog down bad for the last 2mins back to the ramp... I took it real gentle

There was a bit of coolant came out the bilge plugs once back on the trailer... Not sure if this was what I spilt when filling it? It was diluted about a litre of liquid in total, which seamed a lot for a quick ride with no spins.... The dealer installed a new carbon ring and i asked the engine alignment to be done too but it came back with loose engine mounts... Which I tightened befor riding.. Grrrrr I suspect that it didn't get aligned.... Would this be my leak?

The coolant was below the min line when I got home but I could still see it in the bottle so it wasn't dead empty or anything like that

The speed sensor wheel is damaged - have one ordered... Would this be my "sensor" problem?

My mode and select buttons don't seem to do anything on the dash - I have tried pressing select 5 times after installing the key to get it to throw a code but nothing shows on the screen.

I cannot see hours, time etc on the display... Only "Seadoo" "sensor" "chk eng" right down the bottom of the screen... I assume other info should display above this? - sorry first rxt

the dealer is a 4hr drive for me .... any suggestions on where to start???

Cheers Marty

+1
    If its any help, I don't think it could be the speed sensor like you think.. My speedo wheel blew off almost 200hrs ago and I never got a fault for "sensor" for it or any fault for that matter

+1
    Check for error codes.

+1
    "Sensor" is most likely your speedo missing causing the issue.

Put the key on, hit the "Set" button five times, record the error code(s) that show up and post back here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPteamtimebomb View Post
    If its any help, I don't think it could be the speed sensor like you think.. My speedo wheel blew off almost 200hrs ago and I never got a fault for "sensor" for it or any fault for that matter
    Me too ... also run at least 200 hours without the speedo wheel, never an error code relating to it, just registers 0 mph, but never an issue.

+1
    OR (more likely the issue) the ski thinks it has VTS, which it doesn't, right? since it's an RXT.

sometimes the computer forgets what kind of ski it is, if the battery has been unplugged for a while, etc.

the dealer can turn the VTS off and that should solve the "sensor" issue.

Thread Information