Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: On Board Tools

+1

On Board Tools

I was wondering what tools everyone carried on board. Or if there is a kit somewhere that is a decent size for our PWC's. I have a 2012 GTI SE 130 if it matters.

Thanks!

I have a tool kit from a motorcycle and a few extra wrenches,I have them in my truck all the time. I have them same ski as you do,2012 GTI SE 130 mine is black,wanted the red one but they didnt have any when I bought my ski,.How do you like your ski? I love mine,we put 50 hours on it this summer living in Ohio,now we are looking to add another one but getting the GTI 155 Limited,I want the 2013 because I really like that new gray.

+1
    Motorcycle kit, not a bad idea. Might have to look into that. I also have the black one, I personally thought the red was too much of one color. I love it though, have had it for a month to date, put a little over 8 hours on it wish I could do more - weather doesn't help much .

I agree with you on the new Grey look though, defiantly a stealthy but yet clean look!

+1
    I picked up a tool kit from west marine a few years ago, on sale. has socket set, pliers, screw drivers, etc. etc. anything you'd really need on the water, in an emergency.

it comes in a blue floating case too. check it out. fits fine in the GTI storage bin.

+1
    Carry sockets/nut drivers for all clamps on YOUR ride. Each craft may have different sizes, so prepare for your own.
    A rule of thumb is to try to use your on-board tool kit while in the garage wrenching, changing spark plugs, loosening oil filter cover, tightening torx screws, battery posts, etc...
    If you need to dig through a tool box, go to Harbor Freight and purchase the item(s) needed and stick them in your kit.
    I've lost Harbor Freight allens and wrenches to the local lake... didn't cry. The snap-on and blue point stay at home.

+1
    It's a good idea.
    I didn't worry to much about it when I jumped on a brand new ski. Should have known better! 90 minutes from the boat ramp and car ski alarmed and went into limp. SC hose had popped off. Luckily I managed to get it back on and nipped the clamp up with some change I had.

I don't want to bog my ski down with too much so just carrying a pair of ss multi pliers that has screwdrivers and shit attached and some other bits and pieces like shifter, hose clamps, cable ties etc. you can't cover for everything that could go wrong and only so much can be done on the water. I do carry a ripper tow rope to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Carry sockets/nut drivers for all clamps on YOUR ride. Each craft may have different sizes, so prepare for your own.
    A rule of thumb is to try to use your on-board tool kit while in the garage wrenching, changing spark plugs, loosening oil filter cover, tightening torx screws, battery posts, etc...
    If you need to dig through a tool box, go to Harbor Freight and purchase the item(s) needed and stick them in your kit.
    I've lost Harbor Freight allens and wrenches to the local lake... didn't cry. The snap-on and blue point stay at home.
    That is a very true concept. I had never even heard of Harbor Freight. I'll have to pass by this weekend and check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    It's a good idea.
    I didn't worry to much about it when I jumped on a brand new ski. Should have known better! 90 minutes from the boat ramp and car ski alarmed and went into limp. SC hose had popped off. Luckily I managed to get it back on and nipped the clamp up with some change I had.

I don't want to bog my ski down with too much so just carrying a pair of ss multi pliers that has screwdrivers and shit attached and some other bits and pieces like shifter, hose clamps, cable ties etc. you can't cover for everything that could go wrong and only so much can be done on the water. I do carry a ripper tow rope to.
    I try and usually prepare for the worst. But being as I haven't tinkered much with the ski yet I don't necessarily have a concept of what the common tools should be that I can keep on board. Some extra cable ties and hose clamps do sound like a good idea!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    I picked up a tool kit from west marine a few years ago, on sale. has socket set, pliers, screw drivers, etc. etc. anything you'd really need on the water, in an emergency.

it comes in a blue floating case too. check it out. fits fine in the GTI storage bin.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50254

guess they changed the color of the case - got it on sale for like $30 or so.

+1
    Harbor freight is a great idea to piece together a PWC tool kit. The tools are definitely not Craftsman or Snap-On quality but they get the job done. No harm done if the tool kit slips out and sinks to the bottom. I do have a motorcycle kit that I will throw in the ski. I thought up that idea the other night but never remembered to grab the kit.

While we are on the topic of tools, what else do you carry on board? I am new to PWCs and want to see what everyone else carries. I know rope is a good idea, but do you all favor a specific type of rope? Do you have any "tips & tricks" for what you all carry?

+1
    I bring tow rope and something to plug a hole in case I take on water. Thats all you need. Do it right and fix it when you get back home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information