Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Challenger 180 High RPM problem

First post, I was hoping someone here could help me out, the dealership doesn't seem to care...

I bought a 2006 Challenger 180 about 4 months ago and I've had trouble with it since day 1, this boat just doesn't wanna get out of the water like I imagined it would, I read in many places that this boat should jump right out...

From a dead stop, it takes about 15-20 seconds to get on plane with 2 people on, it takes about 2 minutes with 6-8 people on... the RPM's just shoot all the way past 8000 when I put more that 1/3rd throttle and the boat is basically stuck at the same spot without moving, it helps to move the throttle up very slowly but it still loses "traction" once in a while, the boat runs fine once it's out of plane so I don't know what it could be... I GPS at almost 45MPH with 2 people on.

The overheating warning beep will start if I try to get on plane for too long at those high RPMs.

Is this normal?
    If not, What do you guys think is wrong?
    Is there somebody close to Naples/Fort Myers Florida area that could help me?

Thanks for any help or comment, great site btw
    Last edited by FLSUN; 02-08-2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: forgot to mention overheating.

+1

Cool

I'd start by checking jet pumps,take a flashlight looking into steering nozzle area can you see large gap between edge of blade and out side of housing?

later cd

I don't see a big gap, I don't know what a normal gap would be, I'll take some pictures.

+1
    Yep, it sounds like cavitation in the pump from a trashed wear ring.

Around the impeller you have a plastic wear ring. It gets burned up when you suck trash in the pump. Check it out and post a pic or two and we will let you know how it looks.

I'm am far from an expert, but it sounds like you have cavitation. I would check the wear ring for any damage. Have you sucked anything into the pump that you are aware of? The clearance between the impeller and the wear ring should be next to nothing. Any gashes in the wear ring will produce these symptoms. That or somehow you are sucking air. I am sure some of the more seasoned boaters will chime in.

LOL: Water4fire beat me too it....
    Last edited by FLSCIC; 02-08-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: posted at the same time as water4fire

+1

Cool

if your in naples check out certified watercraft in phone book,if can't find it will post # tomarrow

later cd

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like a wear ring issue

NOT normal. You should rip out of the water & onto plane. Wear ring (plastic ring housing in which the impeller spins) is probably shot. Check out a stainless steel replacement . . . a bit more up front, but you won't have to replace it anywhere near as often. Minor parts cost 1x compared to repeated labor and down time. My next will be SS.

The boat's at the dealership right now, I'm going to pick it up today and take some pictures.

What worries me is that this boat has had this same problem from the day I bought it, I'm sure I've sucked a few things up since then but it runs the same as always.

The dealership took it out on a test ride and told me I just need to accelerate slower to prevent it from cavitating... that's not much fun... I'm used to my jet ski which you can ride at wide open throttle from a dead stop and it never misses a beat.

Accelerate slower?!? Itís a freakiní jetboat! Wow, that reminds me of years back when I took my VehiCross to the dealership for a loud rattling noise (which turned out to be a loose oxygen sensor), and they seriously said it was normal and I need to just turn up the stereo louder. Seriously. Dealer incompetence and lack of knowledge necessitated me to have to learn to do all maintenance on the VehiCross myself, and the Speedster is turning out to be the same story.

My dealer has had my boat for two days now, and they can not figure out how the install the depth finder (after they tried to install the wrong one in the first attempt). They say theyíve been on the phone with BRP for hours and canít figure it out. Iíve scanned the instructions once, and I think Iíve got the idea. I only had them install it because I worked it into the deal with the boat.

Youíll get this fixed, and then youíll have a ball. Youíve got the same engine as my 150, and although about 500lbs heavier, even when Iíve got three other passengers (500lbs of passengers), Iím up on the plane in two seconds. Now, with eight people on boardÖ well, how can I put thisÖ you should have had a V8J- gonna be slow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information