02 genesis not running under load

Great forum! A wealth of information and help!
    02 genesis will run on trailer, idle ok, and rev up to 6k rpm ok. Once I put it in the water it will idle, if you give it throttle it will rev up to 2-3k rpm and start do die out/ bog. It will restart, but every time it takes longer to get re-started. PWC was stored for 4 yrs. Has only 35 hrs on it.

I have 23 psi fuel pressure during cranking and running, taken injectors apart (no gumming) 40 volts at all injectors while running, checked fuel filter, new plugs, new tps sensor, new fuel, checked oil level sensor - ok, ski is not in reverse, new battery, checked grounds, 120 psi compression on all 3 cyl. impeller and housing clear.
    Plugs are black, running rich? Does some backfiring when trying to start with low battery. No red lights or warnings.

It's close to running but not there. Any more help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Backfiring on a Ficht engine is often an indication that the EMM needs repair.

Correct NGK PZFR6H spark plugs installed?

Thanks for the response. Have the correct plugs. Tried to check the connection on the EMM, could not get the connector out, some special trick? Have the fuel pressure but not the volume? Flow specs? With it revving up to 6k, no load, I assume it's getting enough fuel. What is the function of the hose going in the top of the EMM? Thanks again

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    The hose provides cooling water from the stator cover to cool the EMM. I would imagine the ski should rev to at least 7k rpm out of water as it has no loat and that is the normal operating rpm.

I would side with K477 and say based on your detailed information, that the EMM is likley bad.

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    Thanks for the response. Have the correct plugs. Tried to check the connection on the EMM, could not get the connector out, some special trick? Have the fuel pressure but not the volume? Flow specs? With it revving up to 6k, no load, I assume it's getting enough fuel. What is the function of the hose going in the top of the EMM? Thanks again
    The large 40 pin connector has a small allen head screw in the center securing the connector to the EMM. The screw is captive so it will stay in the connector when loose. After you unscrew it the connector should come off easily.

Cheers

Thank you! Will check connections plus other troubleshooting ideas found in the forum. You all have been very helpful.

Thread Information