+1

Recommendations for New Orleans

I am heading down to New Orleans this weekend for the first time. Unfortunately I won't have my ski with me but I am looking for recommendations on where to go and what to see. Any input is appreciated. I will have my wife and some friends with me and we do like live music.

+1
    French quarter is the easy answer. If never been there, definitely do that. You can spend all day walking around there. At night throw a rock and you'll hit a club with a great band. Go to Cafe Du Monde and have a beignet. These are all the stereotypical tourist things to do at least. How long are you there?

+1
    I am there for 4 nights. I just Googled "Beignet" and they look very tasty.

+1
    785, I spent 3 nights (each) in Old Montreal and Q City last year; great trip, glad I was talked into it. IDK, what part of Canada you're from, but Montreal did remind me of NOLA to a degree.

Like Jarrett said, Vieux Carre (French Quarter) is a must for all first timers. Be warned, it has degraded to it's older days as there are plenty of strip clubs on the Canal St. end of Burbon St. But you'll want to walk Bourbon St. from Canal to about Orleans. After Orleans, I think, is where the gay district begins; but I'm not really sure. Day or night is usually fine if the weather is good, but at night is when you see the more risque side of the city. Also, at night, you can find live music from Jazz to Rock.

Beignets at Cafe' Dumonde (again) is a nice NOLA treat. It's on Decatur St. and almost directly across from Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral (This is the "spirit" of the FQ). Be sure to take a stroll around Jackson Square - good weather brings out artists and street performers.

One thing NOLA is famous for is food! You could eat in a fine restaurant in the greater NOLA area 1 night a month and a lifetime wouldn't be enough time to experience it all.

If you have a nice weather day, do the Riverwalk, which is a shopping mall on the inside and a number of blocks outside on top of the levee of the Miss. River. If you're a history buff of any sorts, there are the nighttime cemetery/ghosts tours (never done it) or a paddle wheel steamer down the river to the Chalmette battlegrounds where the Battle of New Orleans was fought (War of 1812 against the Brits.) I love that tour.

Obviously, you've got a place to stay, but if needed, I'd be glad to rec. some places to eat depending on what fare you like. If there's anything I can help you w/, say the word.

PS: Where a "ketchup" nation, but mayonnaise is available upon request... lol.

+1
    I am a couple hours from Toronto, but have been to Montreal many times. We are staying right by the Riverwalk. I should be there for dinner tomorrow. Looking forward to the warm weather.

Thread Information