Girls just wanna have fun! awarrick's Avatar
    +1

Someone Educate me plz!

I just had my '05 FXHO Cruiser serviced and it's at 210hrs. They did a valve adjustment. I'm no techie...can someone (in basic terms) tell me what that means??? What kind of difference can I expect to see? I rode it a couple days later and didn't notice any difference..

thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by awarrick View Post
    I just had my '05 FXHO Cruiser serviced and it's at 210hrs. They did a valve adjustment. I'm no techie...can someone (in basic terms) tell me what that means??? What kind of difference can I expect to see? I rode it a couple days later and didn't notice any difference..

thanks
    It means they set the gap between your rocker and valve stem. You might notice a little smoother idle and a little less valve noise. It is a maintenance thing so you should not notice anything different

+1
    Basically what r33pwrd said but in all honesty, they probably just threw a feeler gauge in a few spots to make sure it was in spec and out it went. They probably didn't do much if anything to it because if they honestly measured and found it far enough out of spec to warrant a change, they would have to remove the cams to access the shims under the buckets which means they would have to measure each and every lobe on both intake and exhaust, figure out what it needs for shims, make the change and then have to reinstall and retime the cams. If they actually did any of that, you would most likely see a charge on your bill for the parts (shims and/or buckets) and labor involved to make that change. If they were an outstanding shop, they may have just traded you shims but most shops will not do that as they make their money on service vs unit sales so most likely they removed the headcover, looked it over quick, maybe tossed a feeler under a few lobes to get an average, buttoned it up and sent it out the door. Also as r33 said, you won't see much of anything performance wise and in all honesty, you probably won't hear much of anything either. It's good to keep an eye on things but these engines are pretty darn good and at 210 hours, I can't see it needing much of anything unless you had some serious issues going on causing premature wear and tear and at that point, you will most likely need more than just a "valve adjustment".

+1

Someone Educate me plz!

I didn't know they did the shim method... Assumed it was adjustable like the Hondas. But good to know!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    I didn't know they did the shim method... Assumed it was adjustable like the Hondas. But good to know!
    The Honda's use tappet shims also. The only way to adjust valve clearance is to change the shim thickness.

+1
    It means they set the gap between your rocker and valve stem.
    No rocker between the cam lobe and valve stem either... The cam lobe pretty much rides right on top of the valve... with only a "valve lifter" between them. Under the lifter, between the valve stem is where you'll find the valve shim.

+1

Someone Educate me plz!

I'm learning

+1
    I'm learning
    Aren't we all...

Thread Information