Thread: LOUD!!!!!!!!

I recently purchased a 1996 Polaris SLT 780 and I am also new to being a ski owner. I am very happy with it overall but it is extremely loud. I'm assuming it has an aftermarket waterbox on it and was wondering how I can quiet it down without loosing horsepower. Any suggestions? Thanks

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    Get a stock water box. The aftermarket ones have little to no effect on performance. They just make a lot of noise.

Medina, Ohio, United States
    Pull off the aftermarket waterbox, sell it on ebay for $40 - 60, and PM me if you are interested in a stock waterbox. I'll get it to you for cheap.....

Sydney, Australia
    Its your first ski so you may be assuming it is loud because of an aftermarket waterbox. It may just be loud because to the unaccustomed ear, these 2 strokes are just that - Loud! When I got my first 900 I couldn't believe how loud the thing was compared to the four strokes putting around, it may just be the nature of the beast. When I fired my 785 pro in my front yard the first time I had neighbours down the street coming out to see what was going will learn to love it in due course!

Mt. Zion Illinois
    Post a pic of the water box and we'll let you know if it's OEM or aftermarket. If you have an aftermarket box I could swap you even for a good OEM one.

No dude. Trust me I know the sound of two strokes. This thing is unusually loud. When I'm just putin around its loud as hell like I have no exhaust on it at all. If I hit the gas a little then let off the back flow muffles it a little. If I'm full throttle it quiets down a bit but still loud. I've been next to other two strokes and it sounds nothing like them. When I'm on the lake this thing turns heads everywhere with a WTF look. I think I will look for stock box. I don't mind a little loud but pissing people off loud I don't like. Thanks for the input though.

Thanks a lot. I think I'll do that for sure. I'll get back to you on the buying of the box.

Thread Information