Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Go1200r problem

Go1200r problem

Hey guys I'm new to posting but been looking all over the forums looking for a idea what my ski is doing.
    So...
    i have just got a gp1200r 2002 model. It starts and runs perfect it runs all the way to red line. And you can do u turns. Donuts. Jumps. Everything. But after around the 30 mins to 45 mins into a ride. It starts to miss fire when over 1/2 throttle. But runs fine on idle and below 1/2 throttle. Just soon as you increase it it miss fires like the spark is cutting on all 3 cylinders. Never cuts out or stops but if you let it cool down. It runs again for the same time give or take.

I have checked the compression and its perfect even when hot
    The plugs have been replaced and burning a perfect color.
    Fulel filter replaced.
    Checked all cooling lines.
    Ive taken the electric box out and checked inside for loose wires etc and moisture.
    Im running a 40:1 per mix
    I've got a d plate and chip. No lights are on the dash.
    tested the sensors.
    the thing I might point out is every time I come home when it's missing. I fill the tank back to the top. Maybe it's a fuel level prob. As my gauge don't work.

Please help. I'm a motorcycle mechanic of 16 years so please fire the answers at me.

+1
    Check the vent in top of the tank make sure its letting air in the tank there should be a little pressure in the tank after riding when you remove the fuel cap. also when it starts cutting out make sure there isn't a lot of water in the hull that could get pulled in the air box especially if the lid isn't sealed properly. Other things that can cause similar problems are power valve issues not opening and closing properly or bad plug wire going bad. also check for overheating when it starts cutting out. you should be able to place your hand on the side of the cylinder during normal operation. it will be pretty warm but not very hot. Be careful to not get burned.

Thanks for some info buddy. I have checked the breather and I can blow through the pipe. But not tested the little one way valve so I will check that tomorrow. The last owner has put a k and n pod filter on it. I was thinking maybe when it's taken on some water it's sucking abit up through that. So again ill check if there's a lot of water in there at the time. ( it makes sense) but when I get home (when it's missing) I lift the seat and there don't seem to be a lot of water in there. But worth a look.
    Like I said it runds really good for 45 mins so it can be nothing major. But poss electrical gremlin. As of the connectors etc I've pulled them all apart and spayed them with wd40 but all seem dry and clean.
    ill try Rhodes things you said and get back to you.
    Please keep them susjestions coming. I've tryed a lot of things and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

+1
    I thought 32.1 on mix was right for the GP1200R or am I wrong on that?

Maybe? I wast told by the last guy 40:1 and I've read on a few posts that's right. Maybe I'll try going to 32:1. It's smokey as it is though??

+1
    A lot people run 40:1 and a lot of people run 32:1. Nobody has burned up an engine running 40:1 that I have read on here at least. I run Yamalube 2W 32:1 and I run better oil like Mystik JT4 at 40:1. Bottom line just don't forget to mix.

Thanks buddy. I was told 40:1 it don't feel like a seize. Runs perfect for 45 mins or so.

Ok guys as suggested I've checked the fuel breather and its clear and the arrow is facing into the tank as it should be. I can suck though the pipe and can't blow though it.
    I took it back out today and it lasted about an hour and started to miss again. I stopped and looked at the water lever in the engine and there's not much in there at all if any. But there's a small splash marks around no 1 plug.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris gp1200r View Post
    Ok guys as suggested I've checked the fuel breather and its clear and the arrow is facing into the tank as it should be. I can suck though the pipe and can't blow though it.
    I took it back out today and it lasted about an hour and started to miss again. I stopped and looked at the water lever in the engine and there's not much in there at all if any. But there's a small splash marks around no 1 plug.
    Shot in the dark but perhaps you're getting water inside your stator coil. If you have a little bit of splash marks around #1 (front) it's possible
    water may be getting past the stator coil wire harness gasket and up into the stator? Or, there may be a spot on the wire harness going bad?
    I hate electrical problems related to heat, time, water. Argh!

+1
    Just in case you don't have the service manual. http://www.cajundude.com/GP1200R%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information