To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1

Sunken Ski in Salt Water - Long term harness problems

A few days ago I sunk my ski! The waves were to tempting, high air = hull fills up with water and 2 x Rule 1100 could not keep up!

Anyway, the ski sunk, proper sunk. We recovered it and got it running again with an hour or two and countless cans of BRP lube on the harness's etc.

I am satisfied that the engine is saved so now want to look at preventing harness damage as much as possible.

Over winter, which is nearly here in the UK, I was going to pull the engine anyway. What I am thinking now is to pull the harness and try to stop long term corrosion if possible and am considering the best way of doing this.

Submerge the whole harness in oil once removed for a few days and then hang it to drip dry for a few weeks??

Any ideas tips of tricks would be great.

I would soak the harness in a water displacer like wd40.

+1
    From past experience, biggest concern is going to be the two big MPEM plugs. and the fuses. Water always gets in there and rots the pins away. If you dont have any green corrosion and the plugs are dry. I would say you're safe. I would check every plug anyway but MPEM is the biggest problem. You'll probably end up needing a starter solenoid soon. There's no saving that junk ha ha

+1
    Why the Rule pumps couldn´t keep up? Continuos jumps? o broken carbon ring? I ask because I am about to install two 1100 gph non automatic rule pumps and I was under the impresion that it was going to be my bulletproof solution to sinking as a result of high jumping?

As for preventing corrosion on the connectors, I would also go with lots of WD40. I spray that after each use in salt water, and my hole engine bay looks like new.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah continual jumping, the waves were just too tempting!

When going jumping now I am going to block off the rear air vent somehow as this is the main source of water intake. Also check seat seal. I am looking at getting more air into the hull from somewhere up front and high, like by the dash clocks. It will be a winter project now.

+1
    Ok, I filled half the hull once with three consecutive jumps. Hence, I decided on the bilge pumps.

I am in the middle of a proyect to get more fresh air into the nos and therefore to the intake filter. First a placed a custom made bulk between engine and gas tank. Could feel with my hand diference in air temp on either side of the bulk. Then I want to put two rule blowers in the two air intake hoses located in the nose. http://www.amazon.com/Rule-140-Marin...ds=rule+blower. First, waiting for AFR, since with other mods i am worried that engine could be lean, and colder air would make things worse.

Believe that with all that fresh air coming in, aditional air inlets would be useless, so rear could be closed if necesary, but havent proben theory yet.

+1
    wash it good and then use alot CRC

+1
    might want to wash with fresh water first, to get all the salt crystals off, then soak in a WD 40 or CRC or electronics cleaner
    its the salt that will cause corrosion, salt is hydrophyllic, always abosrbing water from the air etc, thus keep rewetting your parts over and over and over.
    one time with water no big deal, but constant wetness from salt buildup will rot it eventually.
    unhook battery completely remove from ski. press starter button afew times to de-energize system. wash with garden hose thoroughly.
    open covers rinse everything you can get to. and everything you think salt water got to!!!!!
    then soak it in wd40 or whatever, hit it with a leaf blower, and let it dry out completely like in the hot sun, inside hot garage, wherever.

Thread Information