Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    129
    +1
    1

    Twin jet pumps driven off one engine?

    Has anyone seen anything like that? Ive been trying to figure out the best way to get 65+mph out of an Exciter jet boat and one of the ideas was to use a single LSx V8 with a gear drive transmission on the rear to split the power to each pump.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham AL
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotank View Post
    Has anyone seen anything like that? Ive been trying to figure out the best way to get 65+mph out of an Exciter jet boat and one of the ideas was to use a single LSx V8 with a gear drive transmission on the rear to split the power to each pump.
    Why? There are HUGE jet pumps that are used in jet boats all the time. Look up Berkley jet pumps.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    129
    +1
    1
    This would be to just use the 155 pumps without much pump modifying. Even if I went with larger pumps I still wouldnt have the HP to turn them...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham AL
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    2
    Here would be my suggestion.....

    Glass up the transom from the old jet drives. Then install the V8 small block (FYI your going to need water cooled manifolds and marine componets), get a berkley pump to match the motors HP, set the x demention and cut the transom for the new drive. Way less work and less parts to fail. Just my .02

  5. #5
    GGG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,830
    +1
    258
    I've seen a youtube video of a sbc spinning 2 pumps but it was a while ago

  6. #6
    "Hustler" Inkaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,712
    +1
    26

    Twin jet pumps driven off one engine?

    Why not run twin 4 techs? It be like building a gprxp twice. 16 foot boat with 500+hp sounds like a good time.

  7. #7
    Eastside Powersports Slow 91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    River Crew CT
    Posts
    4,248
    +1
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Why not run twin 4 techs? It be like building a gprxp twice. 16 foot boat with 500+hp sounds like a good time.
    BOOM!

  8. #8
    "Hustler" Inkaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,712
    +1
    26

    Twin jet pumps driven off one engine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Why not run twin 4 techs? It be like building a gprxp twice. 16 foot boat with 500+hp sounds like a good time.
    BOOM!
    Way to return a call broooo

  9. #9
    83.0 @ 8400 jhill19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teays Valley, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,800
    +1
    81

    Twin jet pumps driven off one engine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkaddict View Post
    Why not run twin 4 techs? It be like building a gprxp twice. 16 foot boat with 500+hp sounds like a good time.
    BOOM!
    Way to return a call broooo
    Must not have his phone today.

  10. #10
    skeletor88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast- Australia
    Posts
    78
    Twin pumps, if there were enough horsepower to drive them, would only improve out of the hole accelleration. It would do nothing for top speed. For efficiency, you would have to double the volume of the intake, while keeping it along the centre line to stop cavitation of one or the other pump while turning. Bringing the pump tunnel forward would then play havoc in high speed runs and choppy water as you would have foamy (aerated) water entering the pump duct causing cavitation.

    I think a Berkeley jet, even after the mods, would be cheaper, more reliable and provide better all round performance

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS seadoo RXP jet pump and nozzle/reverse assembly off a 04
    By RXPSTUNNA in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
  2. jet pump engine allignment woes
    By xltsp8 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
  3. Jet Pump won't come off
    By njcowboy in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-21-2009, 09:22 PM
  4. will a jet pump off a 04 rxp fit my 03 gtx?
    By FL03GTX in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 05:05 AM
  5. 2001 virage engine and jet pump removal
    By jeeprunnr in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 09:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •