+1

RXT offshore/turbo questions

First thing is first, searched high and low on the forum, but the search function yielded me little info. I'm still searching through threads, so may have more questions as this thread goes.

I'm wanting to build an "offshore" ski to replace or compliment my RXP, which is absolutly brutal in 3'+ confused "chop". It just unhooks and goes flying, I swear I spend more time airbourne than in the water. This will probably not be a race boat, but I'd love to take the trip for LB2CAT some day. I was thinking an RXT hull, maybe with some small hull mods Breon-style (miss ya, buddy), and a bunch of the usual mods for hookup would be a much better ride to have at LOTO on the weekends than an RXP. BTW, last outing I slammed into a wave, breaking off the splashguard, front "bumper", stripping out the hood latch, and probably busting the hull inder the fuel tank, just for an idea on how rough it can be. Dislocated a shoulder at LOTO before.

To the questions, I found a basically complete 05 RXT I think I can get cheap, engine disassembed and probably dead, should have all the driveline I'm told. It will be turbo'd, low boost, not looking for massive power just reliability. None of the questions involves the turbo hardware, got that covered. I'm hoping to get it all for under 2K and use my current 215 engine as a base.

1. Am I wasting my time with an RXT? Short of buying an ultra250/300, are the RXT-X's worth the considerably higher price they command in the rough? RXT-X 255's go for about 7K local, 6K with driving, stock.

2. I hear the RXT-X 255 pump shoe works on the RXT, acts as a 2" spacer, improving hookup. Is all that is needed a RXT-X shoe and driveshaft? Any more info?

3. Can the RXT driveshaft handle more power? I hear it's impossible to find replacements. I don't want to buy a hull with discontinued parts, rather just sell what I have and move to something else in that case. I'm not bothering to have custom shafts made for a "almost competitive hull". I'll go turbo a 300X and blow some kawi engines up, lol. People always asking for them makes me think they strip out easier than the RXP one.

4. Anything else to watch out for? Any advice, post 'em up! Hell, tell me I'm nuts or I'm wasting my time if you think so.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    If the water offshore gets rough a 80 mph RXT will not keep up with a stock 250X, with rider of same ability, in most cases.

If it is a fairly smooth day the RXT can do well. Even on rough days a guy like Steve Friebe could finish as high as 3rd, on a pretty rough day which in my opinion is nothing short of phenominal and speaks of his abilities to manage and ride the RXT. (Yep, he was on old style hull finished 3rd against a load of 300X's) But this guy is a phenom of a rider. Cyril Lemoine and some others have done well on some rough courses with these ski's.

I would get the newer hull. I think it is that much better. The turbo is what Warner and a few others use and when dialed in right is a great way to go for offshore.

I know the driveshaft handles what ever you want to give it. I do not know inter-changability.

LB2Cat is a great race to do. Good luck and hope to see you participate.

+1
    your not going to find a new 2k turbo kit
    it will be very hard to stay under 5k

+1
    There are some pretty good deals on some Kawi 300 race skis now, and when World Finals are over,
    After world finals a local place in Havasu sells some of the rental race built skis for a real good price,
    Rumor has it that a young veteran that has dont the LB2Cat has his heavy modded kawi 300 for sale,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    your not going to find a new 2k turbo kit
    it will be very hard to stay under 5k
    Said nothing about a $2K turbo kit, a <$2K local ski is what I'm talking about.

I KNOW I can do the turbo hardware for under $2K, as I've done it. Supporting mods is where the money is, though.

+1
    Hull sold. We'll see if there is any race skis in my price range over the winter.

Thread Information