+1

riva power filter

Guys got a stupid question for ya, Installed my riva power filter not long ago and the kit came with like a bag or glove that goes over the filter is it necessary to have it on

+1
    It will protect your filter from water splashing onto it. I have the R&D and thought I'd need a filter sock but it hasn't been necessary. I'd put one on if I had it, it does not affect airflow.

+1
    There's been some debate about the pre filter in regards to rpm. Some people have said it scrubs up to 100 rpm others say there is no loss. I've been running for 40 hrs with no pre filter and no problems. The filter is so high and forward on the SHO that you shouldn't get water in it anyway

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    It does rob a few RPM....unless your hull stays full of water , the prefilter is not needed.......

+1
    I've never tested it back to back, but I'm gonna say using the pre-filter probably scrubs a few rpm. As others have said, you really don't need to worry about sucking water with Riva's intake, but IMO the sock helps keep salty air out of the intake tract. After running without it for awhile i noticed some salt deposits on the opening of my SC & some corrosion when I had it apart. That's easily prevented by routinely spraying some rust inhibitor into the intake though. The maintenance schedule recommends doing it every 50 hrs, but if you do lots of ocean riding I'd suggest giving it a quick spray with the engine running after every few rides. I use a real lightweight silicone so it doesn't leave an oily film in my intercooler & affect performance.

+1
    Thanks for the reply's guys, yeah filter does sit pretty far up near the fuel tank was always wondering if it would loose a little airflow with that sock but i guess if it ain't necessary i might give it a go without it

+1
    I've used the pre filter for several years and check it about twice per season - usually when I have another reason to remove the filter. I'm always surprised by how much "stuff" is actually caught in it each time. It's easy to rinse clean in the sink, so I've left it on just to keep the main filter cleaner, longer.

Thread Information