Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can I use a Magic Eraser on my hull?

I had my waverunners on a drive on dock all summer so the bottoms aren't too bad, but could use some cleaning up. I'd rather avoid the harsh chemicals that people use to bottom clean their boats. Would a Magic Eraser be ok to use, or will it scrach/dull the hull? I know I can just try a little section and see how it goes, but figured someone on here must have tried.

+1
    Not sure. I think it has melamine abrasives, if it does then it might cause fogging or ghosting on a hull, especially a black hull. I know that a related product called "Easy Eraser" apparently has caused some problems due to chemicals and an "abrasive surface." One of the links below describes melamine foam as "extremely fine sandpaper"...

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_pos...ID=53097&PN=22
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/magic-eraser1.htm

+1
    I have used Magic Eraser on white GPR and XLT hulls to remove the trailer black marks on the front, and also scuffs other places with no apparent damage. Don't believe I would use it on colors without testing first though.

+1
    I tried this on a boat hull and it absolutely dulled the finish. Do not do it. If it's really stubborn brown stuff on a white hull, try "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. Otherwise, just soap and water.

+1
    Try white vinager and water first..50/50....takes the white scum film off my hull every time.

+1
    +1 on the last two posts ... first try 50/50 vinegar and water, next try straight vinegar, if that does not work, definitely do what Mike said and use a good toilet bowl cleaner. IF you use a toilet bowl cleaner and a brush of any kind, use goggles/eye protection of some sort, don't want that strong stuff in your eyes.

+1
    If you use toilet bowl cleaner, ABSOLUTELY do not get it on any of the plastic like the start/stop switch. It will take the shine right off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    +1 on the last two posts ... first try 50/50 vinegar and water, next try straight vinegar, if that does not work, definitely do what Mike said and use a good toilet bowl cleaner. IF you use a toilet bowl cleaner and a brush of any kind, use goggles/eye protection of some sort, don't want that strong stuff in your eyes.

+1
    Dont forget to flush !! lol

Sorry, should have mentioned I have a black hull. In addition to a bit of scum/crud whatever you want to call it on the hull, I have white scuff marks from the plastic drive on docks. It's not too bad and they'll just come back again next season anyways so I'll just take everyones advice and use some 50/50 vinegar water on the scum and don't worry about the white marks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I tried this on a boat hull and it absolutely dulled the finish. Do not do it. If it's really stubborn brown stuff on a white hull, try "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. Otherwise, just soap and water.
    Never used "Works " on a ski, but does clean the toilet bowl very well. I would be afraid to use it on a ski after what I saw it do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information