Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

93 SL750 issues / How's my wash?

Hey everyone.

So I picked up a 1993 Sl750 this summer. Was running fine. Compression 130 across the board. Ski has been rebuilt at some point looks like wesco pistons and cometic gaskets. Fuel lines were also replaced. Took it for a few short runs and it seemed to be running fine. I replaced the plugs and added a fuel filter/water separator. It ran great for the first half of a run, but then downhill. It started to hesitate and at WOT would feel like it was dropping a cylinder. It would kick in and out. I also noticed that when turning left it would drop, but when turned right it would go back to full power. I immediately thought fuel. There was water in the tank so I figured maybe water getting in was causing the power cut. But it's very cut and dry. Like someone is flipping a switch on a cylinder.

So I replaced all the fuel lines, drained the tank, upgraded to the triple fuel pump and cleaned the back end of the carbs. The in-carb filters looked clean. I have reason to believe the carbs were rebuilt in the rebuild as well. I forgot to prime the fuel system before heading out so took a lot of cranking to get it started. This coated the plugs with oil. I cleaned them off and got it running. But it does the same as before. Seems like the PTO cyl cuts in and out. Cleaned the plugs again with a wire brush and it does it less, but still does it. Any ideas?

Also, since it's the end of the season I decided to pull my heads to look at the wash. How does it look? The CEN definitely looks lean, although it may be cleaning up. I only ran it about 20min after the fuel pump change. Do I need to replace the head gaskets now? Or can I re-use?

Thanks everyone!
    Kris
    All Mag CEN PTO
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	284754Attachment 284756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CEN.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	284757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PTO.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	284758
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAG.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	284759  

+1
    With the condition of those head gaskets, I would say replace. In addition, you may have some water leaking onto the cylinder heads from the same source....

+1
    all three are lean open up all the highs a 1/4 turn and recheck after your next ride

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Kris.

First off, those aren't Wiseco pistons. Most likely WSM. Pretty sure those aren't Cometic gaskets either. It was prob a WSM top end rebuild kit that was used.

I wouldn't re-use those gaskets either. The seal coating is missing and may cause leaking issues. I'd look into getting a Cometic top end gasket kit for around $65 shipped.

I agree with BFC. tI looks to me like there may be some water intrusion going on.

When you went through the carbs, did you open up the fronts and verify what jets that were installed? Did you check the carb adj screw settings and compare them to stock?

You think the spark plugs were oil fouled from just lots of cranking? That seems odd.

What spark plugs are you using, and what are they gapped at?

Have you tried to cut the spark plug wires back 1/4" yet?

How long is the pulse line going to the fuel pump?

Is the fuel pump mounted above the pulse fitting on the engine?

Thanks for the input guys.

I guess that'll teach me to believe the stickers on the ski as to what components are used haha.

What makes you think there is water intrusion? The sleeves look good.

I didn't open the front of the carbs. Don't know that muck about them so didn't want to mess anything up. I guess I will buy rebuild kits over the winter and re-do them.

Plugs were covered in oil when I took them out. They are BR8ES gapped at 0.028

Pulse line is about 7in. Fuel pump is mounted above, in original location just below the intake inlet. Autocock is removed. Went through the fuel selector and the gaskets looked good and it was clean.

Where can I get a gasket kit for $65. Everything I have seen is like $100.

Thanks,
    Kris

+1
    Xlint is referring to a "TOP END" gasket kit, which will only include the gaskets for a top end rebuild, vs a "COMPLETE" gasket kit for a full motor rebuild.......

Wash usually forms around the perimeter of the piston, originating at the intake and exhaust ports. Often times when the majority of the dome is clean, especially in the middle of the piston, water is getting into the cylinder and steam cleaning the piston domes during combustion. The coating peeling off the gaskets also indicates it is time for replacement, and that they were possibly leaking.....

My pistons looked similar, until I replaced the head gaskets.

Any ideas where I can get a Cometic top end kit? Google had yielded little. Would this be something John Zilger would have? Since I need carb kits anyway might as well combine it all.

Kris

+1
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cometic-Gask...ac9ddc&vxp=mtr

https://www.denniskirk.com/high-perf...et.p261139.prd

John may be able to get them as well.... Not sure what brand he usually deals with...

Banned User
    +1
    I have had good luck with the WSM kits, on the domestic motors, don't know how the Fuji kits are. I know John can get the WSM kits.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    BFC has got you covered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information