Thread: 96 XP issue

96 XP issue

am new to this site and hoping someone might have a solution for me. I have an XP 1996 which I've had for 10 months with no issues. Took it in the ocean for the first time and a friend got stuck on a sand bar. Ever since then the ski will run fine to about 5500rpm then miss, drop back to about 3500rpm and then go fine up until 5500 again. Feels like rev limiter kicking in but way too early. Checked spark plugs and all looked fine. My knowledge of engines is limited. wondering if the issue is related to mate sucking up any crap on sand bar or different issue maybe. Any ideas welcomed.

+1
    rectifier assem. seadoo part number: 278000443

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    rectifier assem. seadoo part number: 278000443

Thank you. is this a fix I could do myself or need a mechanic? appreciate the help

+1
    simple fix, just take your time putting it back together-- the front electrical box that is. Have on hand a few nice black zip ties to bundle the wires so as not to pinch them with the cover, a pair of side cutters and a 10 mm nut driver.

Awesome, thanks very much for your help.

[QUOTE=jim;2052222]simple fix, just take your time putting it back together-- the front electrical box that is. Have on hand a few nice black zip ties to bundle the wires so as not to pinch them with the cover, a pair of side cutters and a 10 mm nut driver.[

Hi again just realised i think my ski is 1998. 951cc model. Is it still the part? cheers

+1
    [QUOTE=fraser.moore.100;2052493]
    simple fix, just take your time putting it back together-- the front electrical box that is. Have on hand a few nice black zip ties to bundle the wires so as not to pinch them with the cover, a pair of side cutters and a 10 mm nut driver.[

Hi again just realised i think my ski is 1998. 951cc model. Is it still the part? cheers
    No it is not the same part. Pretty much need to check everything-- fuel system-- bowl, carb filters, check valves, selector switch, water injestion causing bent rod or piston scuffing, water in front electrical box, water in mag cover, jet pump that is siezing from no lube for a number of reasons, or pipe leaking water at manifold to pipe, pipe halves or a burned out coupler from a blocked water box regulator that dumps water into mid pipe.

Identify if it is electrical, fuel related, pump, pipe, cooling system, exhaust leak (couplers or assemblly of the pipe).

[QUOTE=jim;2052668]
    Quote Originally Posted by fraser.moore.100 View Post
    simple fix, just take your time putting it back together-- the front electrical box that is. Have on hand a few nice black zip ties to bundle the wires so as not to pinch them with the cover, a pair of side cutters and a 10 mm nut driver.[

No it is not the same part. Pretty much need to check everything-- fuel system-- bowl, carb filters, check valves, selector switch, water injestion causing bent rod or piston scuffing, water in front electrical box, water in mag cover, jet pump that is siezing from no lube for a number of reasons, or pipe leaking water at manifold to pipe, pipe halves or a burned out coupler from a blocked water box regulator that dumps water into mid pipe.

cool thanks i think ill take it to the shop.

Identify if it is electrical, fuel related, pump, pipe, cooling system, exhaust leak (couplers or assemblly of the pipe).

Thread Information