XLT 1200 rebuild ! Thanks to all!!!!

First, thanks to all for helping me rebuild my ski. I could not have done without this site!! I'm not finished yet but today I will be doing the leak down test. I do need to ask what is the right way to lubricate the crank and pistons, other than the amsoil I coated everything with prior to install? Also, I've read that running 50 to 1 premix of quicksilver for break in, is this correct for first tank of fuel? Also, should I start the ski first in my driveway hooked up to the hose before taking it to the river for the breakin? Once again, thank you all!!!!! I've had so much fun doing this and the only thing that made it possible was the invaluable expertise on this site!!! A special thanks to Osidebill!!!

Cisco

+1
    If you're still using the oil injection, then yes you should also premix the 1st tank of gas at 50:1.
    If you have blocked off the oil injection then mix the 1st tank of gas with a lot more oil then usual. Something like 32:1
    Avoid going over 3/4 throttle during break in and the first tank of gas. The extra oil leans out the airfuel ratio and you don't want a lean seize. Plus the rings will seat better if you avoid WOT during break in.

Oil injection is gone. Thanks for the info. I did the leakdown test and it held 10psi for 5 minutes and after about 8 minutes it was down to 7psi. Is that acceptable? Im stoked to have this thing almost done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The extra oil leans out the airfuel ratio and you don't want a lean seize. Plus the rings will seat better if you avoid WOT during break in.
    Stock Oil injection mixes 30:1 at full throttle, I can't see that being a problem. Quick bursts(2 seconds) of full throttle actually seats your rings. Babying it can actually cause you to glaze your cylinders preventing them from seating. As Carl at Island Racing told me it's all down hill from here. Ride it and do your top end every 100 hours.

+1
    delete(double post)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cisco4449 View Post
    Oil injection is gone. Thanks for the info. I did the leakdown test and it held 10psi for 5 minutes and after about 8 minutes it was down to 7psi. Is that acceptable? Im stoked to have this thing almost done.
    sounds good to me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The extra oil leans out the airfuel ratio and you don't want a lean seize. Plus the rings will seat better if you avoid WOT during break in.
    Stock Oil injection mixes 30:1 at full throttle, I can't see that being a problem. Quick bursts(2 seconds) of full throttle actually seats your rings. Babying it can actually cause you to glaze your cylinders preventing them from seating. As Carl at Island Racing told me it's all down hill from here. Ride it and do your top end every 100 hours.
    Yah, but now the oil is in the gas tank and displaces some of the gas, so its a tad leaner. I'm not totally against 2 second WOT bursts and I do agree, you don't want to baby it.

Banned User
    +1
    Great get out n ride

Thread Information