Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie with Random Questions!

Hey All,
    I am new to the forum, as far as registering, but have been referencing it for over a few months now. I have a '95 SL750, pretty much stock, except a R&D grate and an extended ride plate. The first question I had is about the extended ride plate, does it actually help? I haven't used it since it's install, as I've been updating the fuel system as well, and after reading some other posts about it, wondering if it is even going to help the porpoising.

Also, I installed new fuel lines and inline fuel filters on the lines coming from the tank. I used larger car fuel filters, as I happened to have some on hand, but they never fill all the way. Is it necessary to use the smaller inline filters that were on it, or is it just the nature of the beast being so large they won't fill all up all the way?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

+1
    Off hand I'm gunna say that it is generally frowned upon to have ANY air in the fuel system.

You might be able to purge the fuel lines and get all the air out and use the larger ones, otherwise you'll need to change them to the correct diameter or you're playing with fire. And by fire, I mean a melted piston.

+1
    With regards to the fuel filters, I did the same thing with my first ski. Zigler said, "Don't do that." So he sent me some smaller filters.

Well that answers my filter question! I'll be stopping to get some smaller ones tomorrow afternoon!

Banned User
    +1
    What plate is on it? If its an OP plate they really help and almost eliminate the porpoising. If you arent sure what it is, post a picture here and we can tell you what it is.

Crap, I forgot to take apicture of it today. We just got done putting a new PTO piston in it, and I test drove it on the lake today...COLD. But funny story, I looked under the ski before we went, and at some point the R&D Grate ripped the screw out that holds it in and is missing...The screw and the grate. So I'm sure there's a lovely grate on the bottom of the lake if anyone wants it! That sucks.

SO I put the stock grate back on, but had to use a random screw that held it in for the run just fine. But it seems I now have a small leak! Is it even possible to 're thread' the hole that the grate screws into, or do I just use a screw that fits, and silicone the crap out of it!?

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Use the proper bolt thread. The intake grate bolt actually has a lot of force on it when you are riding at speed.

You do not want to cross thread or damage the threads of the hull insert. If the intake grate bolt pulls out at speed there is a risk of rider injury if the hull suddenly twists and turns unexpectedly when the grate pulls down under the hull.

Well I think I got screwed by the previous owner, because the screw that was in it when I replaced it didn't look right. And after looking into the hole there, it looks pretty torn up. So I'm assuming at some point the previous owner lost the screw and just threw something that fit into the hole. Is there anyway to replace the threads in there at all???

+1
    just knock the insert out and use a stainless countersunk screw and a nut and washer inside the hull

Quote Originally Posted by diloret2 View Post
    Well I think I got screwed by the previous owner, because the screw that was in it when I replaced it didn't look right. And after looking into the hole there, it looks pretty torn up. So I'm assuming at some point the previous owner lost the screw and just threw something that fit into the hole. Is there anyway to replace the threads in there at all???
    You can probably purchase a new hull insert and the correct screw at one of the Polaris parts suppliers for a very reasonable price.

On my first SLH, the ride plate was held on by a lot of silicone sealant and 3-4 screws. The remainder of the screws were either missing or broken off flush with the end of their respective hull insert. I was able to drill and extract one while in place but that didn't work on the others. So I used a soft punch, tapped the inserts out of the hull, chucked them in my lathe, removed the broken screws, chased the threads with a tap and installed the insert back into the hull. I decided I could make a new one if necessary but then I checked and the ride plate inserts are readily available for about the same cost as the brass bar stock needed to make them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information