Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Really need help with my FX140 issues!

HELP!!

Perhaps the most frustrating day I've ever had.
    Took it out in the water. It ran perfect, revved up to its 10k potential, and flew on the water, about 5 minutes into the day, it stopped. Wouldn't go above 5k rpm, and no faster than 12-15mph. Docked it, took off seat, noticed that the fuel line hose clamp was really tight. Thought maybe it was restricting fuel. I loosened the screw 1 turn. Put the seat back on, started it up, got on turned out from dock, and it died. Wouldn't start back up. Still wont start back up.

It was 1/3 tank this morning, I added fresh fuel to 3/4 tank, along with Yamalube Ring Free + before I headed out.

After the issue, I've checked plugs and spark. All good. Checked injectors, three were good, one was bone dry. So I know one is bad, the other three could probably use a good cleaning. Could this really cause this?? Could one bad injector cause the ski to not start?? And why did it run perfectly, then suddenly big down?? I checked the impeller and that's not the issue.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    could be a bad ecu that is a common problem, By any chance did the check engine light come on.
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 10-08-2012 at 05:49 AM.

No, no light came on. The ski has 580 hours, if that helps diagnose. (It was a rental before purchase)

Pics of injectors.
    The bad:

The good (ish):

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    that looks bad, You might want to take all of them out and send them to be cleaned.

+1
    Sounds similar to my friends Honda ski. Would not go above 10mph, was throwing a bad injector code.

If one injector is not firing shouldn't the idle be rough?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk7 View Post
    HELP!!

Took it out in the water. It ran perfect, revved up to its 10k potential, and flew on the water, about 5 minutes into the day, it stopped. Wouldn't go above 5k rpm, and no faster than 12-15mph. Docked it, took off seat, noticed that the fuel line hose clamp was really tight. Thought maybe it was restricting fuel. I loosened the screw 1 turn. Put the seat back on, started it up, got on turned out from dock, and it died. Wouldn't start back up. Still wont start back up.

It was 1/3 tank this morning, I added fresh fuel to 3/4 tank, along with Yamalube Ring Free + before I headed out.

After the issue, I've checked plugs and spark. All good. Checked injectors, three were good, one was bone dry. So I know one is bad, the other three could probably use a good cleaning. Could this really cause this?? Could one bad injector cause the ski to not start?? And why did it run perfectly, then suddenly big down?? I checked the impeller and that's not the issue.
    Almost 600 hours of use, could be a number of things needing service or replacing.
    I would start with the basics first.
    1. Replace the spark plugs; I don't care how they look, replace all of them.
    2. Make sure your battery connections are very clean and very tight.
    After that I would take a look at the other stuff like starter solenoid, ECU, etc.

I remember when we had our FX140's mine knocked off one day in the middle of the lake and I started freaking out. I took the seat off and within just a few seconds determined it was simply a loose battery cable. Moral; always start with the basics.

One question; you say it won't start, is it trying to start or not turning over at all?

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    HELP!!

Almost 600 hours of use, could be a number of things needing service or replacing.
    I would start with the basics first.
    1. Replace the spark plugs; I don't care how they look, replace all of them.
    2. Make sure your battery connections are very clean and very tight.
    After that I would take a look at the other stuff like starter solenoid, ECU, etc.

I remember when we had our FX140's mine knocked off one day in the middle of the lake and I started freaking out. I took the seat off and within just a few seconds determined it was simply a loose battery cable. Moral; always start with the basics.

One question; you say it won't start, is it trying to start or not turning over at all?
    It's trying to start.

I'll replace the plugs, the injectors will get cleaned this week, and the battery is brand new.

+1
    It's trying to start.
    I'll replace the plugs, the injectors will get cleaned this week, and the battery is brand new.
    Well I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.
    If not, keep pinging this thread, the guy who already replied (JIM'S PERFORMANCE) is one of the most knowledgeable techs around and I have seen Jim help guys fix numerous problems here on the forum. We have some good peeps here.

did u check to see if its putting out a code

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information