Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Quick help - Buying girlfriend a gp800r - winter project

Hey guys, I am buying my girlfriend a 2001 gp800r which will be my winter project. The engine is 100% locked up, or the pump. Whatever the cause, when you bump the starter it clunks but does not turn over. This is fine by me because I will rebuild it from the bottom up and have a fresh ski. The powervalves are stuck as well but the servo wants to move.

My question/issue is; when I put a fresh battery in and hit the starter, although it doesnt turn over shouldn't the display light up? I don't want to get into major electrical issues so this is my area of concern. Is the display supposed to turn on when you press start, even if the motor wont spin? Or does it only turn on when it senses the motor turned over?

In any case, what could be causing the display to not function? It was working last time they went out on it last year according to the owner. He claims he put it away because it had no power, and obviously now its seized up from corrosion or something else.

Let me know what you guys think, and what it is worth. The hull is clean, but it was a salt water ski and needs a full pump/impeller rebuild, full engine rebuild/swap, carb rebuild, powervalves, trim cable, possibly display.

I was thinking $750 is that too much? What are these things selling for now in good shape?

Thanks in advance for quick replies since I am going to close this deal today. I just need to know what could be causing the display to not fire up.

Banned User
    +1
    The display may not turn on until it senses the engine is spinning, putting current through the charging system

+1

Re: Quick help - Buying girlfriend a gp800r - winter project

I used to have a GP1200R and I remember at the gas station I would bump the starter to see how much fuel I had. It definetly turns on without being running, just not sure if it needs to actually turn over to activate power.

They go anywhere from $2K to $4500, depending on condition, included accessories, time of year and urgency to sell. $750 would be kinda high, as you're probably going to end up with ~1500 into the engine at least, plus your labor. A rebuilt (sleeved) engine is going to be at least $1200 (with shipping). Cranks

I got a 2003 GP800R in the same condition last year for $250. I was able to steal a piston and jug and powervalve from it for another ski, so I basically got the ski for $0... now I'm building an engine for it with re-nicked cylinders and a new crank. I'll have about $1450 into the new engine, but it will be pretty much "bulletproof" (as much as you could get one reasonably), and I'll know what's in there and it will have "0" hours. It will have all the recommended upgrades (new 'waveeaterless' powervalves, good pistons, welded crank, etc). I'll still use injection because I want it 'stupid-proof', but will address the oil line security. I'd be comfortable that it would be worth at least $3K if I had to sell it. I don't have to do anything to the pump or impellor.

I also had gotten an 04 GP800R that did not crank like yours. THe electronic display would NOT turn on like yours, but when I found that a powervalve had wedged in the piston preventing it from moving and corrected that, the engine would crank and the display worked fine.

I have a 1998 1200xl that when I bought it the display didn't work I checked the CDI the gauge and all the wires and switches and tracked it down and found a open circuit in the lighting coil in the stator now just have to fix it and it will be all good. Good luck it is the green wire out of the CDI use a volt meter and check the circuit and that will tell you.

+1

I am not sure that he will let it go for less than $750. We will see... it was a salt water machine and certainly needs a full overhaul.

How is it doing the bottom end of the 800? I did the 1200 overhaul twice but never did the crank because it had low hours. On this one id probably do the crank since it has been sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    I am not sure that he will let it go for less than $750. We will see... it was a salt water machine and certainly needs a full overhaul.

How is it doing the bottom end of the 800? I did the 1200 overhaul twice but never did the crank because it had low hours. On this one id probably do the crank since it has been sitting.
    $750 might be high, but not outrageous. If you're going to keep the ski for a while, and want something reliable for her, it still would be better than buying a used ski for $2,500. The bottom end is not much of an issue, but it's disturbing that the crank costs just as much as a 1200 does, even though it has 25% less parts (less bearings, less rods, one less crank piece, etc)

+1

Cool, and I agree. Id rather spend $2500 total rebuilding it than $2500 on something that runs.

What does the bottom end involve? Assuming I get a new crank, are the main bearings easy to press in and out with basic tools? Or do I need to find somebody with a bearing driver and a press? I have used dry ice before with a heated case and put them together with a rubber mallet in my dirt bikes.

Any special tools involved that I need to budget for? I am all about not exceeding $2600 for the total project including the ski purchase price. That is what I feel these skis are worth now in good shape.

+1
    I'm parting out my 2002 1200 GPR, If you need parts, contact me, I have the R&D 800 intake grate

+1

Blown engine? How's the pump/driveshaft or things of that nature? Those are the items I assume I will need.

I also need a trim cable. Do you have one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information