Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To those that might want an ’07 depth finder…

OK, I’m reeaaally not a big complainer, but tell me if I’m the only one who considers this borderline insane-

’07 Speedster’s in the shop for a couple of days to get a depth finder installed, dealer can’t seem to get the job done. They finally call and tell me that although BRP sold me a ’07 depth finder that connects to my ’07 LCD instruments, BRP has not actually written the software that actually makes it work. So, I have a depth finder paid for & installed, it will just be an indeterminate amount of time before I get to drag the boat all the way back to Tampa for the dealer to turn it on.

I don’t know if there are other software engineers out there, but I’m thinking a dozen or so lines of code to get that to work (just needs a continuous loop to read the sensor).

Like I think you're suggesting, what the dealer is saying really doesn't make sense (BRP programming!?) A depth finder is, from my understanding, essentially a self contained unit. The display, some of which are made to fit in the BRP dash; the wiring connecting the display to the transducer; and, the transducer that mounts on (or in) the hull/stern. There is no programming interfacing to be done. The only incorporation with existing BRP wiring is to tap into a power source. As an aside, I installed a Garmin 178c successfully myself in under two hours, and I am NOT mechanically/electrically proficient. Sounds like they are "de-prioritizing" you and your boat in favor of shop/mechanic time for which they are getting paid hourly by other customers.

Just checked Sea-Doo site for the accessory . . . my bad - like you posted, it is incorporated into the lcd dash & not a separate display. Surprised, as a BRP accessory, it is not simply a "plug&play."

Yep, besides living on a rather shallow lake, one of the things that attracted me to getting the depth finder was its integration into the LCD dash. As I mentioned elsewhere, the dealership first tried to install a previous year’s model, and luckily called me to ask where I wanted the hole in the dash. Come to think of it… although the LCD instrument display is new for the boats, it’s the same as the 2006 jetskis had, and I believe the same display the jetskis have had for years. A depth finder was available then, so what’s the difference with my boat??? Ah, surely more dealer BS. I may not have a depth finder, but I have a really good inept dealer finder!!! I’m E-mailing Sea-Doo.

And the salesman promises he will find me the bulletin that said the SC washers where going to be titanium in ’07. Yeah, right, not holding my breath.

+1
    That's an incompetent dealer...contact BRP customer support.

I wish it was that easy...

What an odd situation. I called Sea-Doo’s customer assistance line, not their 800# find-a-dealer line, but their true “customer assistance” line about this depth finder problem, and they were completely unwilling to give me any information. I said “Come on, you know if the depth finder is supposed to work or not, just tell me!”, and she said I have to call the dealer. I said “my dealer doesn’t know or just lies, they also told me the supercharger washers are now titanium… is that true???”. They refuse to give me any information and suggested I call another dealer. This is just wrong, and this makes me regret buying a boat from BRP. Finding an incompetent dealer doesn’t surprise me, but I am shocked and disgusted by the response from BRP.

Are there any honest dealer representatives on this forum? If so, I’d love to have the facts regarding these two statements told to me by my dealer:

1) BRP has not written the software yet that makes the ’07 depth finder work they sell for the ’07 boats (keep in mind the ’07 boats have the same instruments as the ’06 skis, which also had a depth finder available).
    2) The washers in the ’07 superchargers are made from titanium (he said there was a "bulletin").

Resolved

Got another dealer to call BRP today and got the answers I need:

1) As bizarre as it may be, BRP concurred that the depth finder they sell for the ’07 boats doesn’t work, and it will be at least three weeks before they send the software update to the dealers.
    2) The supercharger washers are DEFINITELY NOT titanium. In fact, I heard someone else say that they thickened the ceramic ones for ’06, which isn’t true either, because the part number is, and always has been the same.

+1
    06-07 Washers are thicker, went from .060 in 04-05 to .078 in 06-07. 100% positive! If they do have the same part # it is because they discontinued the 04-05 thinner ones. Glad to here you got your problem figured out!
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Got another dealer to call BRP today and got the answers I need:

1) As bizarre as it may be, BRP concurred that the depth finder they sell for the ’07 boats doesn’t work, and it will be at least three weeks before they send the software update to the dealers.
    2) The supercharger washers are DEFINITELY NOT titanium. In fact, I heard someone else say that they thickened the ceramic ones for ’06, which isn’t true either, because the part number is, and always has been the same.

OK, that is good news; thanks for the info. Without changing the part # though, I’m curious how that would work, with the tolerances on the SC shaft; seems like they would have to make some other part slightly thinner… and what if someone with an ’04 needs new (ceramic) washers? The thicker ones fit on there fine? I can only guess the other parts on the shaft can move to accommodate the thicker washers, but for BRP not change the part # seems odd to me.

I know a lot of people (especially w/skis) preemptively switch to metal washers, but I’d like to know if anyone with an ’06 has experienced a problem with their SC ceramic washers.

P.S. I’m having some serious fun with my boat. I’ve had my fill of dealer incompetence and even horrible customer service from BRP… but I’m not regretting my purchase!

+1
    They will just sell them the complete updated rebuild kit not just the ceramic's. I don't think you can even buy just the ceramics for any ski. I would not give a cent for 100 sets of them! Someone else will have to chime in on this. Shibby works for a dealer and might be able to give you an answer to that. I will never even start a ski with the ceramic's in it. I have been there and done that!

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    OK, that is good news; thanks for the info. Without changing the part # though, I’m curious how that would work, with the tolerances on the SC shaft; seems like they would have to make some other part slightly thinner… and what if someone with an ’04 needs new (ceramic) washers? The thicker ones fit on there fine? I can only guess the other parts on the shaft can move to accommodate the thicker washers, but for BRP not change the part # seems odd to me.

I know a lot of people (especially w/skis) preemptively switch to metal washers, but I’d like to know if anyone with an ’06 has experienced a problem with their SC ceramic washers.

P.S. I’m having some serious fun with my boat. I’ve had my fill of dealer incompetence and even horrible customer service from BRP… but I’m not regretting my purchase!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information