engine compression results and exhaust removal

i have a polaris hurricane 1996

i removed both spark plugs. put the compression tool in the first cylinder and turned engine over and it read 70psi. i then put the tool in the second cylinder and that read exactly the same. did i do this test correctly? if i did is 70psi ok on both cylinders?

also im trying to remove the exhaust to clean up and paint up but i cant remove the bolts no matter how hard i twist the socket set or spanner. is there a better way to do this? im scared i will snap the bolt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by popup View Post

i removed both spark plugs. put the compression tool in the first cylinder and turned engine over and it read 70psi. i then put the tool in the second cylinder and that read exactly the same. did i do this test correctly? if i did is 70psi ok on both cylinders?

also im trying to remove the exhaust to clean up and paint up but i cant remove the bolts no matter how hard i twist the socket set or spanner. is there a better way to do this? im scared i will snap the bolt
    I am sure a Hurricane owner can tell you what your readings should be, but 70 PSI is low. Take a look in the plug holes to see if anything looks out of place on the piston domes and cylinder walls like heavy scoring, pitting, etc. Make sure you are testing with the throttle held open and a strong battery. Is the tester in good condition and the screw in type, not push in?

Spray those bolts with PB and let soak overnight. Heat might help too. Wouldn't be the first time a bolt was broken....!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post

I am sure a Hurricane owner can tell you what your readings should be, but 70 PSI is low. Take a look in the plug holes to see if anything looks out of place on the piston domes and cylinder walls like heavy scoring, pitting, etc. Make sure you are testing with the throttle held open and a strong battery. Is the tester in good condition and the screw in type, not push in?

Spray those bolts with PB and let soak overnight. Heat might help too. Wouldn't be the first time a bolt was broken....!
    ill do the test again with throttle open full and the compression tool is a good quality screw in one i borrowed from a car garage do i leave cylinder 2 spark plug out as i test the other cylinder with the tool?

Banned User
    +1
    Those are big bolts on the exhaust. Id be surprised if you break them. The hardest thing is getting a wrench on them.

+1

get a little heat on those bolts before you try to get them out, not cherry red, just hot, also tap on the heads lightly with a hammer, this can break loose some corrosion.

+1

if the machine starts and runs good try a different compression gauge

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open, strong battery.

Compression gauge must be trustworthy.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    try a different gauge

Thread Information