95 SL750 Fuel Pump - Dual Outlet?

Hey All,
    I have the stock pump on my SL750 and it runs great, so far. I just want to do some preventative maintenace and replace/rebuild the pump. Fuel Lines have all been replaced, plugs, etc. I do Have access to a dual outlet 65L Mikuni Fuel Pump. Is this something I could use if I ran T's between the carbs and blocked off the first inlet? Will the extra LPH hinder the machine at all? Is it worth it to rebuild the stock pump, as I also have access to a rebuild kit for it, for free?

Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    Most people use the 3 outlet round pump. The 780s used a 3 outlet pentagon pump. I would think a 2 outlet pentagon pump would supply enough fuel for a 750.

+1
    The 65L/hr pump I believe can be drill & tapped to make it a 3 outlet, just an FYI.

As far as the stock pump, it is a known issue that the single outlet is a very costly weak link in the fuel system. A brand new triple outlet only runs about $35, so why play with fire? A $75 piston costs more than a $35 pump. So IMO, even that free rebuild kit is not a worthwhile option.

I have a 2 outlet 65L I can basically have though. Would it be feasible to use this with the T's between the carbs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by diloret2 View Post
    I have a 2 outlet 65L I can basically have though. Would it be feasible to use this with the T's between the carbs?
    I believe the 2 outlet is still rated at 65L/hr. Even with the restriction I'd imagine that a 2 outlet still would be able to output more than a 35L/hr pump. I always assumed that due to the pulse line style operation of the pump it will only output what the motor is asking for. I.e. it won't just flood itself. But that is nothing more than an assumption.

+1
    1. Unless someone has actually used a two outlet with the T method successfully, I don't think you will get a definitive answer, only theoretical.
    2. Unless the two outlet pump is new, I would not assume it is in good condition, and rebuild it anyway, thus negating the savings, and pointing to a new pump.

Thread Information