Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clear Coat

Clear Coat

For some reason I was thinking that they would have clear coat on them. I took a decal of and used wax to get glue off and guess what red paint on the rag. I know that you need to wait before waxing a fresh paint job. Has anyone else noticed this. Roger

+1
    Yes,
    read my report. I scratched the paint with my fingernail! Bad news.

Same thing with mine. I was abit concerned but I figured F-It Im going to be repainting after a few bump and grinds on the CC.

Still an area for concern. Dont recomend leaving this out in the sun for weeks.

Thankfully my cover came in today.

Add Clear Coat to new ski

Quote Originally Posted by rhorne1053 View Post
    For some reason I was thinking that they would have clear coat on them. I took a decal of and used wax to get glue off and guess what red paint on the rag. I know that you need to wait before waxing a fresh paint job. Has anyone else noticed this. Roger
    What do you think about taking it straight from the dealer to the paint shop for a couple coats of clear coat...before taking it home?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottmsc View Post
    What do you think about taking it straight from the dealer to the paint shop for a couple coats of clear coat...before taking it home?

Not the best idea....the clearcoat would get on places where you don't want it...like the mats, chrome, rub rail & gauges etc. unless they were masked off really well. With clearcoat over the ugly instructional decals you would never be able to remove them.

Richard

13xracing - aka 427racing 13xracing's Avatar
    I had the same issue. No biggy. You are just picking up alittle pigment out of the gel coat. Clear coat it? No. I always do a base/clear coat when painting my race skis, but only out of ease. Try gel coating a ski once.

In the factory, the gel coat is applied to the mold then the fiberglass.
    When regel
    coating, you must spray the gel coat and then spray psv sealant over the gelcoat to help it cure. Gel coat will not cure when exposed to air. Once cured, you have to go back and wash off all the sealant. A real b!tch. I read up on it alot when deciding how to paint my skis.

The factory guys were so lazy, you can see where they stopped buffing under the rear warning decal, so I had to finish it myself.

Gel coat is a 100 X more durable than any clear coat, so I would leave it alone.

+1

so it's a gelcoat upper hull?

If it's a gelcoat upper hull that will be great! Very durable and explains
    why people are seeing paint pigment when using any solvent or wax type
    product. I always use Carnuba wax on gelcoat from any of the good brands
    like 3M, Meguiars, etc.

Hydrotoys say he scratched his, maybe it's a real thin layer??

+1
    I have never seen gel coat shed any pigment unless it is from sun oxidation. Once it cures it hardens and doesn't loose pigment like paint does. That is if it was mixed correctly and hardened fully. The Kawi cowling and deck is not made of fiberglass. When you look under it, it's a solid white color with no glass fiber visible. Completely different from the hull. I'd say that it is SMC that is painted, not gel coated. In the past the skis had an emron type paint finish. I think this paint is more like an automobile enamel. One of the red Ultras at the dealer had a scratch on the cowling edge. White material showed through. The red coating (paint) was VERY thin. The ski also had swirl marks all over the finish...typical when using a dirty buffing machine.

Richard

Has anyone experienced this with the blie ski?

13xracing - aka 427racing 13xracing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    The Kawi cowling and deck is not made of fiberglass.
    Richard
    Its actually a fiberglass reinforce plastic, so your halfway right. And yes, gel coat will shed pigment if wiped with solvents.

BUT, judging by the overspray in the enginebay, I can difinately say that it is probably some sort of enamel like your saying Richard.

And most of the time single stage paints are used because 1. there cheap 2. easily buff out inperfections.

If you really wanted to clear your ski, you will need to wait a while because the clear coat will check or have a wrinkle effect on a newly painted ski. Even if they baked them, there is still chemicals evaporating through the curing process. Thats why they say you need to wait to wax alittle while. Buffing is alright as long as its a compound and not a wax. It will suffacate the paint and cause it to flash or peel. Leave it alone. Make life easier
    Last edited by 13xracing; 02-11-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information