Banned User
    +1

Any foresable issues using a glycol free coolant?

As per topic,

Does anyone use glycol free wetter or know of possible issues using some in our closed loop skis?

The ski will never sit in freezing temps either.... But I suppose thats worth noting, that its no good for skis that will sit where the temps are freezing.

Cheers

+1
    ive just drained my coolant, is it ok to fit the pink stuff ??

+1
    Running it glycol free shouldn't be an issue ... Been running mine on minimum glycol and can't see an issue ...

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    I should know this but it was from 18+years ago when I last looked at it, when Glycol free products were in their infancy. Ford were just launching OAT (Orange aitifreeze Technology) at the time and the car manufacturer I worked for wanted to look at alternatives for environmental issues due to toxicity levels in the products they were using.

From memory some of the Glycol free products had other chemicals in them that at the time (1990ís) were known to eat into cheap grade aluminium that some car manufacturers used in their radiators and heater matrix units.

Also when Glycol free coolant was mixed with hard water from some parts of the world (Europe mainly I seem to remember) containing high PPM of chalk it could turn to sludge in certain conditions.

So the general rule was donít top up Glycol free with tap water, just the ready mixed stuff from the bottle.

Something else in the back of my mind about Glycol free and certain types of rubber but can't remember much other than that.

Please remember, this info I give is old news now and things may have changed somewhat.

Banned User
    +1
    Cheers thanks for that...

I wonder if there is any issues with electrolysis between ride plate and engine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Badvgood View Post
    I should know this but it was from 18+years ago when I last looked at it, when Glycol free products were in their infancy. Ford were just launching OAT (Orange aitifreeze Technology) at the time and the car manufacturer I worked for wanted to look at alternatives for environmental issues due to toxicity levels in the products they were using.

From memory some of the Glycol free products had other chemicals in them that at the time (1990ís) were known to eat into cheap grade aluminium that some car manufacturers used in their radiators and heater matrix units.

Also when Glycol free coolant was mixed with hard water from some parts of the world (Europe mainly I seem to remember) containing high PPM of chalk it could turn to sludge in certain conditions.

So the general rule was donít top up Glycol free with tap water, just the ready mixed stuff from the bottle.

Something else in the back of my mind about Glycol free and certain types of rubber but can't remember much other than that.

Please remember, this info I give is old news now and things may have changed somewhat.
    You were kidding about what OAT Antifreeze is right (Organic Acid Technology) (DEXCool) or HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) Zerex G05
    Using NON Glycol Antifreeze's may be incompatable with the gaskets and seals in the engine, could cause waterpump seal failure and that would not be good. The seals are made for Glycol based, who knows how they will react to OAT or HOAT.

Considering the price, why risk it, just used whats recommended.

Thread Information