Thread: newbee

newbee

Greetings all!!

I'm new here, but have been reading this forum for a few months. I bought a 2011 300x in the middle of July and it's been a true experience...." strap a rocket to your ass". I was wondering about winterizing this thing...I live in the Pacific Northwest(eastern Washington state) where temps can get way below freezing.The manual is very vague about making sure all water is out of system...any suggestions would be great. BTW....I raced two FZR's and blew them away to the point were they wanted to ride my ski. That was before I put on the R&D speed module....Thanks.

+1
    Welcome on the green side,

use the search button and your gonna find great info on winterizing and all kind of topic that have been discuss many time here and take the time to read threads about the 300x, you'll find real good info from are experts down here on all kind of thing that you should have already check and done on your new ski, that is free info that can save you $$ and a season

Welcome again and enjoy your new ski

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	285362

After flushing after riding tilt the ski back...give it 30 mins then start the ski NO WATER..RUN 5-6 SECS ONLY and watching water come out the back as you rev slightly 3-4k rpms..stop...doing it again..repeat until only a mist and a little drip is coming out of the exhaust...you've gotten most of the water out of the cooling and exhaust system what's left will evaporate....some will still be in the WB but enough to expand and damage from freezing..

You can use a pressurized garden sprayer with 3/4 hose fitting and run a gallon of RV Antifreeze thru the flush fitting...its not recommended to mix with water from the RV as it loses it full effect...

Done it both ways living in the cold Northeast...never had any issues in the three skis Ive owned in 8 yrs....

+1
    you can also blow in the pisser to get rid of residual water in the manifolds and head

If you can, the very best solution is to keep it out of the elements in a garage / storage warehouse or something like that. Fill the tank up and add a good Fuel Stabilizer and get a Battery Tender (keeps a very low charge on the battery, but it won't over charge it). Disconnect the Battery Tender and start the Ski every 2 to 3 weeks for 15 to 20 seconds; no flush water into the engine.

I realize that for some folks the only solution they have is to "winterize", but in my opinion it is better overall for a Marine Engine to "keep moving" every now and then. JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    If you can, the very best solution is to keep it out of the elements in a garage / storage warehouse or something like that
    Good idea John..put the ski in my small but warm garage and have my wife start her car outside on a cold winter morning....

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    If you can, the very best solution is to keep it out of the elements in a garage / storage warehouse or something like that
    Good idea John..put the ski in my small but warm garage and have my wife start her car outside on a cold winter morning....
    Well, we can agree that your Ultra would be happy in the garage
    But yes in your case it may give cause for your wife to wonder, "what is that thing doing in the garage, and I am outside in 2 feet of snow". I get it, I really do! JB

Thank you all for the advice...Hornet is in an attached garage but it's not heated.....as far as the fuel situation goes...when I had about 12 gallons in the tank I put a bottle of "Stabill" in it, then took the ski out and ran it down to when the low fuel warning came on. I then put it on the trailer...drove it up a steep incline then started it and rev'ed it till there was no apparent water left. Then I took it home and did it again.I sure hope that did it...

+1
    If you live where the temperature could get below the freezing mark don't forget to flush it with antifreeze

Thread Information