Need help- 99 GSX RFI died and won't restart.

Had my 99 GSX out yesterday and the ski was running great with the exception of a low throttle stumble it has had since I purchased it a few weeks ago. I just tend to drive around it and it never caused a problem (always assumed it was either a leaky injector or mis adjusted TPS and planned on checking it out one of these days..). Well yesterday, we were running for several hours, stopped to eat lunch for a bit and when we got back on them, cruised around a bit to warm them back up and then my wife and I had a quick race. At the end of the run, I slowed to a cruise and after a few seconds it stumbled but felt like I was going to be able to throttle through it and keep it going, then it just stalled and has not run since. Compression is 145 and 150, pulled the fuel line and filled a glass with fuel and there didn't look to be any water, has spark, pulled the injectors to check for a leak under pressure and spray when cranking- all looked well. Verified TPS and CPS signals with the book specs and a meter, looked fine.

When I let it sit for a while (several hours) or if I pull the plugs and crank it a bit, it will fire instantly when I attempt to start it but just a quick run then stumble and stall and not start again for hours or until pull the plugs and blow it out again. To me, it is almost acting like there is water in it but as mentioned, fuel looks good and I can't think of any other way it could have gotten in. Another thought is I have a leaking carbon seal and there was a couple inches max in the ski after lunch, I don't know if that could have gotten into the mag or been ingested any way. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am stumped here. Thanks.
    Joe

edit- I should add, the ski has a constant 12V low warning on the Info Center that comes on about 30 seconds after starting it, but has a steady 13.5 at the battery at all rpm's. Even when the 12V low is flashing, the battery is still showing an actual 13.5. I replaced the rectifier for the hell of it and nothing changed. Checked and cleaned all grounds, power leads, etc. and all looks perfect. Local mechanic said to just ignore it at this point and it is probably the gauge since the voltage reading at the battery is good and it has not died with all the riding I have done. Don't know if this is related or not but figure I should add it just in case it is.

+1
    Remove the throttle and try to look if the rotary valve is spinning when cranking. Since you had the manual measure the trigger(cps). remove it and inspect for moisture or metal particles. Get a fuel gauge and measure the pressure ( have you tried primming the pump?) putting the key several times to get pressure to the fuel lines. This models are equiped with an on board diagnostic system so if you have a shop near or a friend with a can doo or the BUDS you can look for DTC codes and also reset your TPS. Inspect the resonators not been melted and obstructing your exhaust.

Others will chime in.

My .02.

Quote Originally Posted by AndinoWatercraft View Post
    Remove the throttle and try to look if the rotary valve is spinning when cranking. Since you had the manual measure the trigger(cps). remove it and inspect for moisture or metal particles. Get a fuel gauge and measure the pressure ( have you tried primming the pump?) putting the key several times to get pressure to the fuel lines. This models are equiped with an on board diagnostic system so if you have a shop near or a friend with a can doo or the BUDS you can look for DTC codes and also reset your TPS. Inspect the resonators not been melted and obstructing your exhaust.

Others will chime in.

My .02.
    Thanks for the reply! I plan to check the rotary valve tonight, so I'll get back to you on that. I checked the CPS and it is was in spec going by the book. I tried to remove it, but it is pretty frozen in the housing and I didn't want to break it. Been spraying with liquid wrench, hoping to try to get it out tonight. Don't have the adapters to hook my pressure gauge to this, so I haven't checked other than to verify that fuel was flowing and spraying a good pattern from the injectors. I did not try repeatedly priming the fuel system then trying to start it, I can give that a shot tonight. Local guy has the BUDS and if I can't figure this out, I was going to leave it with him to diagnose. As for the exhaust restriction- never even considered that. I can just disconnect it and see if it fires up. That's an easy check and I'll do that tonight as well! Is that common?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Plug the key and listen for your fuel pump prime

It primes and has a good spray coming out the end of the hose when disconnected, also has a nice pattern coming from the injectors when cranking. Have yet to check actual fuel pressure though, I don't have an adapter for my gauge that fits the ski.

+1
    Sounds like a bad spark plug(or boot) or loose wiring at the coil connector plug.

Thread Information