Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami Fl
    Posts
    161
    +1
    3

    Problems removing skat trak impeller of FZR shaft

    I installed a skat trak impeller 3 weeks ago and try to removed it and broke 2 skat trak impeller removal tool and the impeller wound't get loose when finally i had to take it to a shop where they give a lot of heat and after 30 minutes it was out of the shaft any one has this issue with the skat trak ? i'm scared of putting it back and won't be able to remove it again.


  2. #2
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,801
    +1
    2,015
    Always use anti-seize when installing an impeller. Also make sure you torque it on good so the water doesn't overtighten it the first time you ride it.


  3. #3
    gordon lasiter #328's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    katy, texas , United States
    Posts
    1,647
    +1
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban133054 View Post
    I installed a skat trak impeller 3 weeks ago and try to removed it and broke 2 skat trak impeller removal tool and the impeller wound't get loose when finally i had to take it to a shop where they give a lot of heat and after 30 minutes it was out of the shaft any one has this issue with the skat trak ? i'm scared of putting it back and won't be able to remove it again.
    When you installed the prop did you use antiseize on the threads?

  4. +1 by:


  5. #4
    Yellow93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Posts
    2,429
    +1
    122
    Lots of anti-seize and a big ass breaker bar do the trick for me!


  6. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami Fl
    Posts
    161
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban133054 View Post
    I installed a skat trak impeller 3 weeks ago and try to removed it and broke 2 skat trak impeller removal tool and the impeller wound't get loose when finally i had to take it to a shop where they give a lot of heat and after 30 minutes it was out of the shaft any one has this issue with the skat trak ? i'm scared of putting it back and won't be able to remove it again.
    When you installed the prop did you use antiseize on the threads?
    I put grease (error) I need to buy antiseize at homedepot does it have to be marine or homedepot antiseize will work and also i did the (error) like mjh3ides said i didn't torque the impeller and let the water torque for me that's maybe why.

  7. #6
    Gus13letter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,135
    +1
    822
    I have heard of people going though $100 in tools and couldnt get it off. That was on a Solas impeller on a conversion. I've also seen folks selling impellers with the shaft because they couldnt remove it. Typically it is with a lot of power though. You were turning it the right way? It is reverse threads. Looking down at the impeller shaft side clock wise to take it off.

  8. #7
    Gus13letter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,135
    +1
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban133054 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban133054 View Post
    I installed a skat trak impeller 3 weeks ago and try to removed it and broke 2 skat trak impeller removal tool and the impeller wound't get loose when finally i had to take it to a shop where they give a lot of heat and after 30 minutes it was out of the shaft any one has this issue with the skat trak ? i'm scared of putting it back and won't be able to remove it again.
    When you installed the prop did you use antiseize on the threads?
    I put grease (error) I need to buy antiseize at homedepot does it have to be marine or homedepot antiseize will work and also i did the (error) like mjh3ides said i didn't torque the impeller and let the water torque for me that's maybe why.
    Get the copper stuff! Maybe from NAPA

  9. +1 by:


  10. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami Fl
    Posts
    161
    +1
    3
    thank you so copper antiseize, and yes i was turning in the right way, but when i installed didn't torque just left it to get the water torque for me and that was the error.

  11. #9
    Avi8tor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    Posts
    826
    +1
    27
    I made the same mistake. Didnt torque it enough first time installing a prop thinking the water would torque it . LOL It did! (way too tight)

  12. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami Fl
    Posts
    161
    +1
    3
    lol yeah we learn by mistakes like that, but from now on i will use a lot of antiseize and torque impeller so the water won't torque for me.


    thank you guys for the help from now on i will use antiseize and torque..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. SHO / FZR 12/22 R&D Skat Trak impeller
    By BPnta in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
  2. Sho / fzr (skat~trak ) impeller 14/26
    By vette c6 in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
  3. skat-trak impeller for the x ?
    By rjr in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 12:09 PM
  4. Three Blade 14/19 SKAT TRAK impeller feedback
    By sr71bb in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 04:35 PM
  5. Anyone tried the SKAT-TRAK impellers?
    By VFX_Artist in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •