XLT 140 Conversion is almost complete

I'll take some pics and post. I started with a 2003 XLT1200 that ate a piston for the second time in 20 hours do to 2 year old fuel. The ski is in great condition and I couldn't see getting rid of it. Decided to do a 4 stroke conversion. Found a donor 2002 FX-140 with 56 hours in MI for $900 that was in a dealer fire. The outside of the ski was melted but the drive line was perfect.

I got the donor home and striped it down. Test fit the engine and found the mounts and mid-bearing to line up perfectly just some minor tilt issues that were corrected with some shimming. I had to notch the starboard stringer a little to clear the exhaust. I also cut out the top where the two seat halves meet to make it easier to line everything up. I used the FX seat plate as a replacement.

I mounted to CDI to the mid wall with some spacers.

The mid bearings are different and there were two options to make it work. I used the FX mid bearing but then the impeller shaft was too long. I could have use the FX pump assembly to make it work but it is 2" longer due to a spacer. This would have required that I redo all of the trim, steering and reverse bucket cables. I opted to send out the shaft to Moser Engineering to have the shaft shortened by 2" and re-splined.

I used the water box from the XLT and welded together an adapter pipe to connect the MR-1 exhaust to the XLT water box.

The ski fired right up yesterday. I'm now just waiting for the impeller shaft and instrument panel to arrive.

I am waiting for an instrument panel to arrive and then I will make that fit. My donor ski unit was melted.

I would not recommend doing this without a donor. Trying to source all of the parts needed would get pretty expensive. Also, you need to

Mike

2012 FX SHO Cruiser
    2011 FX SHO
    2004 FX HO
    2003 XLT "140"

I should also mention that I have a lot of parts for sale from both the XLT 1200 and FX-140. Let me know what you need and I'll let everything go real cheap.

Millennium repaired the cylinder on the XLT1200 and I am installing a new piston set. I have the engine for sale complete with carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6mikey View Post
    I should also mention that I have a lot of parts for sale from both the XLT 1200 and FX-140. Let me know what you need and I'll let everything go real cheap.

Millennium repaired the cylinder on the XLT1200 and I am installing a new piston set. I have the engine for sale complete with carbs.

Hi!How much are you asking for the xlt engine? Please email or txt to me : [email protected] or +13459381978 (Viber,WhatsApp,iMessage)
    Thank you,
    Balu

Thread Information