Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

stx15f vs. rxp 215 vs. f12x

Hello all, I would like to know your preferences between these three skis. I have ridin the rxp, but not the other two mentioned. I would like two know differences and comparisons of speed, acceleration, reliability, riding comfort, riding conditions of each. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am looking at a 2006 Kawasaki stx15f with 74 hrs, a 2005 Seadoo rxp 215 with 47-77hrs, and a 2005 Honda aquatrax f12x with 140hrs.
    Last edited by JLR; 10-17-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Had a hard time getting it to post. Sorry

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Ok?

It's up there now. Sorry

Anyone? BTW, the rxp has 47hrs

+1
    I'd personally take the RXP only because I have worked on them a lot. I've owned an STXR (same hull as 15F) and ridden a 15F a few times. Nice ski. I have not ridden the Honda but my bet is its the slowest of the bunch. The issue with the RXP is in 2005 they still used the ceramic washers and they were failing a bit.

If you can verify the RXP has not had a washer failure, then it would be a good ski to get. Quicker, faster than the rest. You'd need to pull the supercharger or have someone pull it for your and have it rebuilt to the latest specs by Jerry here on the site, then you'd have a great ski. Very mod friend and can run anywhere in the 70's and even low 80's if you want to spend the time and money. Could upgrade the supercharger while it was out of the ski and get some performance there.

Then again if speed is not your thing, the Honda's seem to be good, long lasting skis that get good gas mileage. As is the 15F.

+1
    What are the conditions you ride in? What is the asking price for each ski? What is most important to you? (ability to mod for speed, maintenance, fuel economy, reliability?)
    Each of these skis have strengths and weaknesses. In order to better help you make an informed decision more info from you is needed.

1. RXP - fastest of the bunch stock. Like above gentleman pointed out service history is important on 05 rxp due to washer issue. If it went south before being replaced there may be bottom end damage that occured that sometimes doesn't show up until later.
    It will use more fuel than the rest. Needs 92+ fuel and there are a boatload of modifications available. Some cheap, some not so. It would probably be the most expensive to maintain. 100 hour S/C rebuilds. Handles any conditions but likes smooth water. In the chop becomes twitchy and unpredictable at times. Good riders can tear it up in any conditions on one, but in the rough the 15F, although slower, can maintain better average speed. I like the way these skis look. But I don't like the cost and reliability. Lack of storage. Comfortable but high center of gravity feel to it. Very playful ski.

2. 15F - Typically very reliable. Capable of going 120 miles on a tank at 30-35 mph. Will drink fuel with the best of them at wot. (any ski does really) Can run on 87. Must check the pump bearings about every 50 hours. (Mine are at 160, checked 3X but have not needed to replace anything yet) Very stable and goes where you point it in the rough and remains predictable. Second fastest of the bunch. Reasonably quick accelleration. A good versitile ski. Good amount of storage but annoyingly small glove compartment. Very few mechanical issues usually. Some aftermarket stuff available and some easy and cheap do-it yourself mods too. Dated looks and sounds good. Comfy seat and turns well and jumps good.

3. F12X - Great reliablity as long as turbo and waste gate actuator are sprayed after EVERY days ride. They rust up. Turbos very expensive (2-3K) if they go bad. WG actuator 80 bucks. Can be unpredictable in the rough. Porpoises on flat water. Lowest average speed of the 3. Slower than 15F due to hook-up. Can be remedied partially by removing 2 bars on intake. Very few mods available. Good acceleration once it is done cavitating. Sola Concorde 17/29 helps this alot. I have one and have riden it in ocean offshore to Catalina alone. That is the level of confidence I have in the mechanical integrity of the ski. It has great storage and a great sized glove box. Looks and sounds okay. Most comfortable ride position of the 3 but seat not as cushy as the Kawi seat. Good range like the Kawi. Will drink it up if you spool up the turbo. Can run on 87 safely (knock sensor) but requires 92+. A good ski. You can throw the Honda sideways at speed and it'll spin nicely and wont dump you or rip your arms off. Very playful and comfortable when doing that.

15F or F12X SHOULD be less exspensive to own and maintain and would/should be more reliable. But the RXP can be modded to HAUL BUTT if thats what you are looking for but like all things, you play, you will pay.

Thats about all I can tell you unless you have specific questions. My knowledge of the Sea Doo is limited but very familiar with the 15F and F12X.

Thank you both. I really do appreciate it. Btw, stx $3800, f12x $4500, rxp $4900 (trying to negotiate if I decide on it)

Trying to get more info on th rxp's history.

+1
    Get a vin (hull) # and take it to a dealer. They should be able to bring up a history. This will only tell you dealer/warranty actions.

Hello again, I would just like to let you all know that I decided to go with an RXP. I bought a 2004 model with 40hrs on it from a 62 yr old man. He bought in new back in 2004 and only rode it in fresh water. At only 10hrs he said that the supercharger blew causing engine damage. The dealer he bought it from replaced both the engine and the supercharger at no charge. So the engine itself has less than 40hrs. I hope to enjoy it and keep you all updated. Thanks for the help.

BTW: I raced my brothers 2007 RXP with 102hrs and I beat him. I am not sure why, but any answers as to why this is would be neat to know. I am assuming it could be because of the hrs, but I was also told that in general, out of a group of 10 there will most likely be 1 or more that is/are faster than the rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information