polaris msx 110 winter storage

Hey guys i know this is probably a question that every one asks but i cant seem to find a good plain answer. I just traded a guy my matco tool box for this msx 110 and here in mo its to late to be out on the water with it now being the cooler temps, so im trying to get this thing winterized for storage. The ops man gives me no explanation of winterizing it except changing the oil and stabalizing the fuel. I have done that but im in need to know if i need to add rva to the fresh water system. I finally found that someone had previously installed the flush kit on this machine but i have never hooked it up and ran it just started for a few seconds in the garage which did push water out of the exhaust. So is This all i need to do or is there a better way to get all the water out of the fresh water loop. And what other things should i do for winterization. Temps here can get down to 0 or below at some times so im just trying to keep this ski in tip top condition. thanks for the help

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am not an expert on the Weber engine winterizing, but for starters you can tip the nose of the trailer up as high as you can get it to allow any trapped water to drain out of the fresh water system. Also open the hull rear drain plugs.

Shift the ski back on the trailer to make it easier to lift the tongue up. Just be sure the winch strap is secured

You should check that the closed loop cooling system actually has proper antifreeze in the coolant.

See my signature links for more useful info.

I have a kaw and yam ski and they were a breeze to winterize but this thing has wires and hoses all over the place so I wasn't for sure if I really needed to get rva in it some how or not. I just hate to have water in it and then have something break and be out a good ski. Like I said the book isn't very clear on storage. I tried to blow some air through a couple of the fresh water hoses but got nothing out of the exhaust. Started it again and got a little water out. I found the flush port but would it be a good idea to pour rva into that port to try and get it through the system?

+1
    With an internal coolant system for the engine, turbo and oil cooler... you don't have to worry about those areas assuming you have a proper mixture of anti-freeze in your coolant. The raw water system goes through the intercooler, coolant-to-raw water heat exchanger, oil tank and exhaust. This system is self draining (so says Polaris owners manual) so tipping your ski nose high as K447 recommended should allow all this to drain well enough. You'll still have a little water in the water box as you would with a 2-stroke ski that won't drain by tipping. You could start the ski and rev it a few times (start it with reverse lever engaged to limit rpms) as is recommended to expel the majority of water out of the exhaust... but I'd bet it was done already. Any left in there won't hurt anything. I wouldn't flush anti-freeze in the raw water system. That seems more like a 2-stroke thing where water might be trapped in the engine block or somewhere that it could damage when expanding while freezing.

Per the Polaris owners manual, you do not have to fog this engine... so that's one less thing. I'd still pull the battery. And you've already changed the oil and stabilized the fuel... so sounds like your good to go.

I'd say enjoy your new ski... but it might be a little while before you can do that!
    Cheers!

That makes me feel 10 times better about where I'm at with it. I guess the only thing left to do is wash it put a good coat of wax on it and put it in the shed with a couple of tarps. Thanks again for all the help

I tipped my 150 last year to drain water. Guess what happend the next spring. OIL IN INTAKE. This year, I am just running it to blow out the water and that is it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Koodat View Post
    I tipped my 150 last year to drain water. Guess what happend the next spring. OIL IN INTAKE. This year, I am just running it to blow out the water and that is it.
    Tipped it which way? For how long?

+1
    Nose high... all winter? I tip my skis back during my winterizing to let them drain while I wash and wax them... couple hours. But I store them level.

That's odd... even if nose high all winter to get oil in your intake. Maybe you had foamy oil already in the intercooler and over the winter it pooled together and slowly drained into the intake. I can't see it getting there from the oil tank or oil separator cyclone... it would all be uphill.

I won't be storing mine... I'll be pulling the engine and rebuilding again. Fun fun!

Cheers!

Tipped mine nose high for 1 day. Put it away horizontal and next spring, oil. I had just entirely cleaned the intake tract before storage. Needless to say, come this spring, I was pretty bummed out.

Thread Information