+1

Change oil filter every year?

Hi,

So, I have an stx-15f. Last year I had the dealership change my oil and filter at the end of the year. I've decided to save some money and time (travel time to dealership) and change my own oil. I only put about 15 hours on the ski this year. I'll change the oil no matter what. Would you change the filter also or wait until next year? Fresh water only and it's a NA ski. I have the filter, but I could save it until next year. It just looks like a pain in the ass to get off.

Thanks,

Mike

+1
    Hey Mike:

I think referencing the Owner's Manual for the STX-15F would help you to answer that question.

If your ski is gonna sit for the winter months, I would certainly hold-off changing the oil until the spring.

As for your oil filter, well the Ultra-300x Owner's Manual defines the following:

Concerning the Oil Change Interval for the Model JT1500H (Ultra-300x)
    ------------------
    Change Engine Oil every 25 hours (or every year)
    Change Engine Oil Filter every 100 hours
    ------------------

Reference:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178422

Good Luck !!!

+1
    Thanks Spooling for the response. I actually looked at the service manual before posting. Before I read it, I just figured you change the oil filter every time you change the oil, but in reading the manual, it made me question whether or not it was necessary. For the stx-15f, it also says every 100 hrs for the filter. At my going rate, that will take me 4 years. Also, thanks for the link. Very useful information. Apparently there's some disagreement between changing the oil in the fall vs. the spring.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    I change my oil every 50 hours. I change my filter either each change if the oil looks particularly dark, usually because of a summer of long hot rides in Laughlin/Havasu/Mohave area do this, (100+ degree temps) or every other if oil is amber and looks "Cleaner". There is no need really to change the oil on an N/A ski any more than every 50 hours, (as per manual) and it does not matter if that 50 hours occurs in 1 or 4 years, IMO.
    I also do not believe it really makes a difference if you do it before or after season. If it is nasty (dark) I think I would before, as it is also a good idea to start the ski now & then, and let it warm slightly (30-40 seconds). If not I would do it when you feel like it.
    I ride all year, but do not live near water and $$ only adds up to about 50-75 hours per year for me. It did take 2.5 years to put 50 hours (I ride my 5 plus other skis so hours cumulate slowly) on my STX12F and oil was fine when I changed it. Probably could have gone another 50.
    The ski now has 180 hours on it. The oil has been changed at 10 hours, at 18.5, (cracked piston, issue was fixed) and 3 more times since.

+1
    Well, it's settled. Thank you everybody. Changing oil tomorrow and the filter next fall.

Thread Information