Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Supercharger weirdness

Hi,

So, I have an 2008 fx sho. This is my first year riding it. Love it. Question though. I haven't ridden it in a bit over a month. I decided to tuck it away for the winter today. I got out the hose to warm the oil up so I could change it and circulate the stabilizer and then I realized I can't hook the hose up to the sho without the flush hose kit. As the nearest dealer is 1/2 hour away and I have a lake 10 minutes away, I decided to go for a ride in the lake and get it all warmed up.

Anyway, back to the problem. The water is probably around 50 degrees. Air outside is 60. I got the ski in the water and idled out of the harbor (maybe 5 minutes or less.) I then put it at half speed for another couple of minutes to warm it up a bit more. When I gave it full throttle, it wouldn't go above 41 mph on the dreamo and a bit over 5k rpm. Almost like the clutch had failed on the supercharger. It would surge a couple of hundred rpm for a second, acting like it wanted to go faster and then slow down again. After playing with it for a couple more minutes, the supercharger finally kicked in and ran perfectly for the next 10 minutes I had it in the water (I had to get home as I had some time constraints to get the oil changed.)

So, here's my questions. Does that seem odd to anybody? Can a supercharger show signs of going bad or is it an all-or-nothing type of deal? Does the supercharger require a certain engine temp to start working?

Admittedly, it could be something unrelated to the supercharger like spark plugs. And since the ski worked perfectly after the inital non-working state, I didn't pull the hose off the charger to see if it turned both ways.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mike

+1
    Probably unrelated to the SC. I'm assuming it sat for a month without starting it, so most likely a fuel or plug issue. Could have been something more obscure like stuck rings or an electrical issue from condensation. Did you check the onboard diagnostics for a code while it was acting up?
    If I'm not riding for awhile, I usually briefly start my ski once a week to keep things lubricated and fresh fuel in the rail. Not sure if that's an option for you over-winter, but if you can, I'd recommend it.

+1
    Start by putting in a fresh set of plugs; in my experience that is a classic symptom of a spark plug issue.
    No matter what they look like, just replace all of them with the exact same plug used by the OEM.
    How many hours on the ski?

+1
    Cool. Thanks guys. I'm planning on replacing the plugs in the spring after I burn off the fogging oil. The ski is completely stock with 125 hrs on it .

Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Cool. Thanks guys. I'm planning on replacing the plugs in the spring after I burn off the fogging oil. The ski is completely stock with 125 hrs on it .
    im fairly certain its your supercharger clutch.mine went out the same way no noise no warning just fired it up one day no boost no high rpm and the top speed in the 40ish range.pull off your intake with the ski turned off if the impeller of the supercharger spins both ways time to fish the pieces out of the oil pan and replace the clutch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    If it was me, I would get the ski running correctly now,
    that way you won't lose any riding time next season when things warm up.
    At least you will know what the problem is.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    I am betting on the spark plugs. Sounds like if it ran better after a while riding, one or more plugs was fouled and not firing. Change the plugs first.

+1

Supercharger weirdness

It is most likely the clutch or something related. Do you have a BOV added? If so, it could be getting stuck open. Also what motor oil is in there now? If you have an oil that has friction modifiers, it will cause it to slip like that.

Start with plugs first, always. Ive had my Ski run fine at 6000+ but not below. These skis eat plugs especkally if saltwater is involved.

+1
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. Like maxadrenaline said, it ran perfectly after 7 minutes or so of not running perfectly. I ran it for 10 or 15 minutes at wot or close to wot speeds with no issues at all. The oil is yamalube (at least that's what I put in it this time.). I bought it over the winter and I don't know what the previous owner used. It ran perfectly all summer. Then this last ride, for the first few minutes of attempting WOT, it wouldn't get there. Fresh water only and I run the ski's at 4500 - 6000 ft altitude, so it's not even producing as much boost as they normally would at sea level.

Question though. Can you see signs of the clutch giving out or is it an all-or-nothing deal? I've thought it through. I can't imagine it's the clutch since it ran perfect after the initial non-working state. It would seem like the clutch is either broken or it isn't. No BOV. I should probably install one though.

Thanks again for the input. I may take it out again this year if I get a warm enough day, but then I'd have to fog it again... Guess that's not the end of the world

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information