Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1

More Pump Issues??? (Losing speed again)

Some facets to the internal workings of a water jet pump are still a mystery to me, so bear with me. A month or so back I posted about losing speed but not RPM and the consensus was to replace my wear ring and I did and that fixed things for 1 day. I got back to 72mph the first ride and have been declining since. I only have 4 hours on this new wear ring and yesterday's ride eventually brought my top speed down to 68, on the rev limiter. I took a look inside and saw the wear ring being worn in one section and a gap between the prop and ring on the other side; obviously a problem. But the question is: What's causing this problem? Some people are pointing to the pump bearings as the culprit, so I was told to reach in the pump and try to move the shaft/prop around, which I did and was recording video at the same time. One person who's seen the video said that I probably have a bearing issue, as I should not be able to move the prop at all. Here is the pic and vid. Just want some extra opinions, as it seems to be what some people are already suggesting. But I'm more pissed at the fact that I just paid for a wear ring replacement and it's already wasted after 4 hours. Appreciate the Input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-20_08-44-24_601.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	285666  

+1
    What imeller is installed in your ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    What imeller is installed in your ski?
    Solas 15/22 SRX. Pitched back to 12.5/18.5 with Setback.

+1
    have you had engine alignment checked?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    have you had engine alignment checked?
    That was one of the first things that came to mind. My driveshaft was replaced earlier this year and I inquired about that being a possible cause for the driveshaft failure, but was told the alignment was "fine". (Doubt is was checked) However, this time around I am going to insist it's checked.

+1
    What did you torque the prop to???Is it coming loose???You will have "Some" scoring on the wear ring do to prop flelx BUT chunks???Theres either debris going through there,the prop is loose,it was installed incorrectly,you got a bad ring that wasnt truely round...

+1

More Pump Issues??? (Losing speed again)

I had this same issue and can say with confidence your engine is NOT aligned with the pump. I'll bet you a case of Shiner that it is pointing low and left!

+1
    I hope you are not paying for wear ring replacement bro?? They charge like 400 bucks here for that and its pretty easy to do with the freezer method. Just from looking at the pics it looks pretty normal. Are you riding is shallow water or water with lots of floating debris?

+1
    with ya on aligment....i asked our local dealer about it, and he was clueless.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    What did you torque the prop to???Is it coming loose???You will have "Some" scoring on the wear ring do to prop flelx BUT chunks???Theres either debris going through there,the prop is loose,it was installed incorrectly,you got a bad ring that wasnt truely round...
    A dealer was the last hands in there. I wish I kept my last wear ring as this one already looks worse at 4 hours than the original was at 120hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    I hope you are not paying for wear ring replacement bro?? They charge like 400 bucks here for that and its pretty easy to do with the freezer method. Just from looking at the pics it looks pretty normal. Are you riding is shallow water or water with lots of floating debris?
    The southern St Johns only has floating hydrilla and other vegetation to worry about. No rocks or anything harsh has been sucked up into the pump that I'm aware of and I haven't even clogged the pump the last few rides. Plus, I'm riding with other skis and I'm the only one having this issue. I did pay for a wear ring, but no where near 400 dollars. I am very new to jet pumps in general and need to learn a lot more before I go trying things. Believe me, I would love to be able to do some more of my own maintenance and plan to learn more things in the future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information