Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    ldippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sewell, NJ
    Posts
    51

    2012 FX HO Cruiser vs. 2008 FX HO Cruiser

    Bought my second FX HO Cruiser a 2012 it has 20 hrs on it. Also still have a 2008 FX HO Cruiser. I broke it in the 2012 as per Yamaha the same as I did with the 2008 which now has almost 200 hrs. After a day of fishing and both skis with 1/2 tank of gas I decided to have a little drag race with my friend to see how my new ski was running.

    We both hit it a I was shocked. It was a dead on tie throughout the take off up until full speed. After a minute or so I started to take the lead but boy I thought I was buying a little faster ski. Does this sound normal? I have clocked my 2008 at 59.8 once as a top speed which sound about right I just didn't think it would be a neck and neck race with the new 1.8 motor.

    Can someone tell me if this sounds right or should I be looking into something a little off on my 2012?


  2. #2
    64physhy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Weatherford, TX
    Posts
    1,725
    +1
    168
    It will loosen up some as it gets broken in more. I have a car that I dyno'd at 513HP and 526lb/ft when fresh, and ran mid 7.30's in the 1/8th mile. After about 40 passes, it's now running below 7.10 just from loosening up. I'd like to get it back on the dyno to see what it's putting out now. Wait until the 2012 has around 20 or so hours, then it should be looser.

  3. #3
    ldippi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sewell, NJ
    Posts
    51
    Thanks I'll keep my fingers crossed it already has 20 hrs. Rides like a dream thought it's so smooth and stable at high speeds it makes riding at 50 mph seem like 35 mph.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Aliso Viejo
    Posts
    951
    +1
    75
    12 hull is bigger causing more drag compared to 11 hull with 1.8L enigne...
    Torque of 1.8L is very obvious to me. The 12 will be 3-4 mph faster than the 08...

    what you saw is about right....The advantage you have is the smoother ride, stability, space/room and torque

  5. #5
    Jarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Waxahachie, TX
    Posts
    3,011
    +1
    77
    So the 2012 FX HO is slower than the 2011 FX HO? What about gas mileage on the two? How much gas do they hold?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Aliso Viejo
    Posts
    951
    +1
    75
    Based on all the released data from people who own the machines, yes, its slower..
    Gas tank stays the same for FX series of all years at 18.5 gallon.

    As for the gas mileage between the 2011 and 2012, perhaps the difference is negligible..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    So the 2012 FX HO is slower than the 2011 FX HO? What about gas mileage on the two? How much gas do they hold?

  7. #7
    Jarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Waxahachie, TX
    Posts
    3,011
    +1
    77
    Thanks. My GF is looking buying a ski and we're down to the FX HO or SHO at this point. She's used to riding my 70+ MPH VXS skis and worried the HO might be too slow for her now.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ldippi View Post
    Bought my second FX HO Cruiser a 2012 it has 20 hrs on it. Also still have a 2008 FX HO Cruiser. I broke it in the 2012 as per Yamaha the same as I did with the 2008 which now has almost 200 hrs. After a day of fishing and both skis with 1/2 tank of gas I decided to have a little drag race with my friend to see how my new ski was running. We both hit it a I was shocked. It was a dead on tie throughout the take off up until full speed. After a minute or so I started to take the lead but boy I thought I was buying a little faster ski. Does this sound normal? I have clocked my 2008 at 59.8 once as a top speed which sound about right I just didn't think it would be a neck and neck race with the new 1.8 motor. Can someone tell me if this sounds right or should I be looking into something a little off on my 2012?
    Well, I have two 2012 sho cruisers. Both have 10 hours on them. One gps'd at 67.9, the other at 68.9. R&d cool air intake, 13/23 prop, ribbon delete. When stock, they ran about 65. I suggest you change trim angle, or go superman with 2 bars of fuel.

  9. #9
    Jarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Waxahachie, TX
    Posts
    3,011
    +1
    77
    So a 2012 FX SHO is 65 MPH stock and 68 MPH with minor mods
    2012 FX HO is 60-62 MPH stock and maybe 64-65 MPH with minor mods?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by cporter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ldippi View Post
    Bought my second FX HO Cruiser a 2012 it has 20 hrs on it. Also still have a 2008 FX HO Cruiser. I broke it in the 2012 as per Yamaha the same as I did with the 2008 which now has almost 200 hrs. After a day of fishing and both skis with 1/2 tank of gas I decided to have a little drag race with my friend to see how my new ski was running. We both hit it a I was shocked. It was a dead on tie throughout the take off up until full speed. After a minute or so I started to take the lead but boy I thought I was buying a little faster ski. Does this sound normal? I have clocked my 2008 at 59.8 once as a top speed which sound about right I just didn't think it would be a neck and neck race with the new 1.8 motor. Can someone tell me if this sounds right or should I be looking into something a little off on my 2012?
    Well, I have two 2012 sho cruisers. Both have 10 hours on them. One gps'd at 67.9, the other at 68.9. R&d cool air intake, 13/23 prop, ribbon delete. When stock, they ran about 65. I suggest you change trim angle, or go superman with 2 bars of fuel.
    Sorry, just noticed, different skis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 FX HO Cruiser Motor
    By Stcatfisherman in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 07:47 AM
  2. 2012 FX HO Cruiser Starting Issues
    By ldippi in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 04:40 AM
  3. 2012 FX SHO/HO Vs. Ultra 300x. Which is the dryer ride?
    By james1287 in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 07:01 PM
  4. Which would you buy? 2012 FX HO vs. Ultra LX
    By WaterDR in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 09:54 AM
  5. Best dealer in S. Fla to get my 2012 FX HO Cruiser
    By yamacruiser in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •