Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX150 Coolant leaking into oil (possibly)

Just repaired head gasket on a 2004 MSX150. Now running perfect on the water, however I have a white oily/water (milky) mixture collecting on top of the oil tank. My first guess was that that the oil tank is leaking, however I had repaired the leaky tank while I had the engine out. I also pressure tested it after repair. Doubt then set in so I removed the oil tank again and tested both oil and water sides to 30psi and no leaks were found.
    I then pressure test the coolant circuit to 15psi and I seem to have a very slow drop in pressure. I carried out hte test with engine cold and at running temperature.

Only possible places for coolant leak other than hoses are the following
    1. Head gasket
    2. Oil Cooler
    3. Coolant pump mechanical seal

This is a real pain after all the time I have invested in this MSX trying to make sure it runs 100%

Should have mentioned also that the oil in the tank is not milky and looks as it should be.

Is there any test that can be done to test if it is fresh water or coolant on top of the tank.

All help is appreciated
    Last edited by steelroe; 10-22-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Should have said I am going to pressure test the cylinder head/gasket firstly just in case my problem is there.
    Also forgot to mention I have oil getting into the coolant.
    The more I think about it the only place that oil can mix with coolant and coolant can get in the oil system is most likely the cylinder head. Just did a quick pressure test on the coolant system cold and the leak seems to have stopped. Dont tell me I have a head gasket problem that only rears its head when the engine is warm. Anyone ever have a problem with a cracked head on one of these engines.
    Last edited by steelroe; 10-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.

+1
    I've heard folks say that after having water in the oil problems and fixing it (usually with an upgraded oil tank)... it can take a few oil change cycles to finally rid all the water/foam out of the system. Perhaps it's as simple as that... just residual moisture still in there.

I've not heard of any cracked heads... but warping can be suspect on engines that have overheated. Especially the cylinders which are open top block and all aluminum with Nikasil coating. Think this is what got me on mine.

There was one member here who worked at a lab and was able to test his oil and determine if it was coolant or water in his oil. Turned out there was no glycol in the oil so had to be raw water. Not sure of other ways to know for sure.

Sounds like it isn't the oil tank. You pressure tested it and it was fine. Plus you have oil in your coolant... and coolant doesn't circulate through the oil tank (raw water does). It still could be the head gasket... but I'd run the ski some and change the oil again and see if it clears.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. Head was checked and no warping found. Compression on each cylinder is perfect (142psi). I have noticed the exhaust smoke is very white in colour.

info on testing coolant contaminated oil here http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/193/oil-glycol

Coolant does not circulate through the oil tank, but if it is leaking into the oil for example fron the pump, would it not then evaporate and collect on top of the tank similar to the scum that can be seen on a vehicle with a blown head gasket.
    The reason I am veering towards the head gasket is that I also have oil getting into the coolant

+1
    Yep... if there is water/coolant in the oil... I suspect the top of the oil tank is where you'd see it collect.

Great compression too (I'm jealous). You said you already repaired the head gasket once. Did you have to pull the engine?

You said with the coolant system pressure test, that the leaks seemed to have stopped. So you still think it's the head gasket?

How many times have you run the engine really good and changed the oil? Just the once since the head gasket repair? If so, could still be residual moisture still in the system from before.

Cheers!

So here is where I am at.

I again pressure tested the coolant circuit @ 15psi for over 2 hours with no drop in pressure. Can I assume that the head gasket, oil cooler, pump, and turbo are all good. Oil tank also tested perfect again. There is a what seems like a lot of white milky substance in the cyclone outelt on the top of the oil tank. I removed it with som petrol. Cleaned out the entire tank and will take your advice ripcuda, run it again.

In relation to the oil in coolant it is possible that some oil got in th coolant ports when the head was removed and also during re-assembly.
    Going to hit the water again an see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Yep... if there is water/coolant in the oil... I suspect the top of the oil tank is where you'd see it collect.

Great compression too (I'm jealous). You said you already repaired the head gasket once. Did you have to pull the engine?

You said with the coolant system pressure test, that the leaks seemed to have stopped. So you still think it's the head gasket?

How many times have you run the engine really good and changed the oil? Just the once since the head gasket repair? If so, could still be residual moisture still in the system from before.

Cheers!
    Engine was removed to replace the head gasket. (heat gasket was replaced previously by another repair shop, but it was not done correctly. Leaked after a short time. Tank was repaired also at this time.

Yep compression is good. Coolant circuit is leak proof @15 psi engine cold. In relation my previous statement regarding testing while hot. Pressure dropped very slowly, but on reflection could this drop be due to the coolant temperature dropping during testing (grasping at straws here)
    Once i get it all back together I am going to pressure test again while hot.

Only ran the ski twice on the water for approx 90 mins in total. Not changed the oil yet. Another thing i noticed is when I removed the oil dip stick while engine is running, there is what seem like water vapour blowing up from inside the tank. like condensate from a boiling kettle.

Engine was sitting around for approx 5-6 months in my workshop with the head removed, before i had time to work on it. Is it possible there is just moisture build up inside the block?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information