Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Opinions on CD/receiver switch?

My goal is to just make it a little louder & clearer, to hear better at WOT, and to have more functionality, especially anti-shock and MP3 capability. I donít want to deal with the complication of an external amp right now. Iíve compared all the marine receivers I could find, and I think Iím going to switch out the Clarion for the Dual MXDM70 with remote. I just donít know about the quality of Dual, and would go with Alpine or something, if I could find the right combination of features (which I canít). I even looked at some non-marine units since the radio has a cover, but picking up the boat yesterday from the botched depth finder job, the service kid was pressure washing it with the cover open, and it looks like he fried it (yes, the dealer from HELL). The stock Clarion is only water resistant. Good thing I had already decided to change it out already, but I figure I better stick with marine-spec.

The only feature I really want, that the MXDM70 doesnít seem to have is non-volatile memory, but it does have (in order of importance to me):

Standard DIN size (for easy swap)
    20w RMS (vs Clarion 17w RMS)
    MP3 decoder
    Anti-shock
    Wired Remote (+ $70)
    Weather radio

So I solicit your opinion, is Dual OK, or do you know of another option with these features or better?

Thanks

Got word that Clarion is coming out with new marine head units I;ll keep you posted

Yeah, I even ran across those in my search; nice they upped the RMS power (unless it's just the same, but calculated different now?), but still no anti-shock? I don't know about you guys, but I hit the slightest wake and my stock 255 cuts out. And weather radio; not that I'd us it much, but I could see it coming is handy in the summer out on the bay. How difficult is it for a manufacturer to make their marine units tune into that frequency? (I suspect not much).

Even if Clarion has a slight fidelity advantage, the value is terrible. They want as much $$$ for their REMOTE than I can get the Dual head unit and remote for. Eh, I might just have to get the Dual and let you guys know how it sounds.

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    i got one word for you JBL

It's in.

Iíve got my new receiver in, and have had a few days to experience it. Overall, I am very happy with the switch and feel it was the best choice. My thoughts:

Installation (receiver)- Was easy, but not as easy as I thought it would be. The unit fits perfectly where the Clarion was, though just a little longer at the back, but I was able to flip the existing rear support bracket around and still use it, so no new supports were needed. I was hoping the wiring plug would fit the new unit, but no luck (a little standardization, please?). I had to rewire it to the plug wire harness that Dual includes with the unit. No biggie, just would have been nice to skip that step.

Installation (remote)- Also easy. I was originally going to put it through the fiberglass under the throttle unit, but for several reasons, decided to put it on the dash. It would have been a convenient location by the throttle, but the unit readout was hard to see there, and I wasnít looking forward to drilling through the fiberglass anyway. The location on the dash has no fiberglass, just a thin sheet of plastic. The remote has about a foot of wires extending from it. If thatís not long enough, Dual included extension cables that must be about 20í long and weigh several pounds. The location on the dash also meant I didnít have to use those extension cables (no extra weight!).

Price- $200 total ($150/$50). Very happy there.
    Power- It is noticeably louder and clearer at high volumes than the Clarion. Not that the Clarion was bad, but this unit just has a tad more RMS power (20 vs. 17). The newest Clarions are supposed to be pushing 22 RMS though. Happy I can hear it at WOT now.
    MP3- Itís 2007 for Godís sake, donít be selling me something that canít play MP3s! Very happy I can play MP3s now, with 160 to 200 songs on one disc, and the ďrandomĒ function works very well.
    Anti-shock- Not so happy. I needed this bad, they way I ride, and it just doesnít cut it. First, there is no anti-shock for regular CDs, only for MP3s. The anti-shock is really just a function of any MP3 player that it has to load it into memory to decode it, and while it is playing from the memory buffer, it should be immune to skipping. Iím sure it works to a point, but several times the other day, a bump would make it just stop the current song and start the next one. Oh well, the stock unit didnít have this either.
    Weather radio- Havenít tried it, but Iím sure it will come in handy this summer.
    Aesthetics- The Dual unit looks better and is easier to use than the stock unit to me. The remote is a godsend; the driver can not reach the stereo on the Sportster/Speedster, and the remote makes all the difference in the world.

I broke down and got a pair of Polk MOMO MMC650s that I should be able to install this weekend. That should just about do it for me, audio-wise.

A pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual MXDM70.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	17543

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    lookin good

Polk Momos are in

And man do they sound good. They are significantly louder than the stock speakers, and mucho bass! I'm really surprised the stock speakers made any sound at all; they were incased in an insulating cup that allowed no air movement behind them. I didn't try it, but I know if those cups were removed, the stock speakers would have sounded much better (but not as good as the Momos, so no regrets!) I actually prefer the stock black grills, but these don't look bad as a replacement.

So, for $300, I've transformed the sounds from the completely inadequate stock system to a thumping loud, MP3 playing stereo with a weather radio and remote. I hope Iím this satisfied when I start the performance mods!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Momo speakers 1.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	17973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polk Momo speakers 2.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	17974  

Im looking for something like this with the remote and mp3 capabilities and in white color!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information