Js550 Lack of compression won't start

Hey all, I've come a ways with this ski and it's almost alive. I put a new starter in and bought a charger/maintainer so battery is at 12.7, I have fuel, air, spark, but a compression of 85/90.
    I get a 12.7 reading at positive post on "ebox?" solenoid and nothing on the second post that leads to starter also no reading on starter. I know there is a few variables on compression loss but I am wondering if solenoid could be a reason for low comp. I tried looking all over for answers and couldn't find any, I need to order a js550 book. Blah thanks allot in advance

+1
    I would think 85/90 would start. I'm confused by your post, does it crank? I would think it must crank if you're getting a compression number from it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I would think 85/90 would start. I'm confused by your post, does it crank? I would think it must crank if you're getting a compression number from it.
    Hey, yea it cranks but won't stay fired up. If you say 85/90 should be good I'm even more at a loss on why it won't run. I wish I knew more about these things, all I know is my solenoid needs jumped to turn over could that be a big problem on it not firing up? Wish I knew more about these things I appreciate any advise

+1
    85/90 isn't great, but I would think it would run. That said, you may have scoring of the cylinders and I wouldn't recommend running it very long until you investigate further. Have you tried putting a little gasoline (about a teaspoon) into the carburetor throat?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    85/90 isn't great, but I would think it would run. That said, you may have scoring of the cylinders and I wouldn't recommend running it very long until you investigate further. Have you tried putting a little gasoline (about a teaspoon) into the carburetor throat?
    Ok il pull head off and inspect walls/rings. I have not tried putting gas straight into carb but I went to ski to tinker with it today and it wouldn't turn over at all this time. I have a handheld volt meter should I get any amp reading off pos post on starter or solenoid? Because I'm not.

+1
    No amp reading, but you should have voltage, about 12 volts.

Thread Information