+1

Taking ski out for what will probably be the last time till next year this weekend.

Gonna use Sta-Bil to make sure the fuel doesn't go bad and stuff. Should I disconnect the battery for the winter or will it be ok to be left connected?

I don't think I need to go to the lengths some of you do to winterize. It will probably never even get below freezing here in South Louisiana.
    Do you south LA guys winterize?

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    def take the battery out and put it on a tender if available. there cheap from walmart or online like 17 bucks , cheaper than a battery replacement

I would fog the engine if you wont be running it for a while

+1
    What does fogging mean?
    It will prolly be unused for about 6-8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by cascivic View Post
    def take the battery out and put it on a tender if available. there cheap from walmart or online like 17 bucks , cheaper than a battery replacement
    Battery tenders are always a bad idea. They usually shorten battery life, and there is never a good reason to use one. It is far better to throw a regular battery charger on it for a few hours every other month. An even better thing to do is buy a AGM battery, because they do not self discharge like regular batteries.

But yes, you should disconnect the battery regardless.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

Taking ski out for what will probably be the last time till next year this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Battery tenders are always a bad idea. They usually shorten battery life, and there is never a good reason to use one. It is far better to throw a regular battery charger on it for a few hours every other month. An even better thing to do is buy a AGM battery, because they do not self discharge like regular batteries.

Do what u want but realize that's contrary to 99% of everyone that has power sports batteries in northern climates. It only floats it so unless you don't keep it filled with water or its not rates for Agm it would not give you a problem. Why would they sell them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post

Do what u want but realize that's contrary to 99% of everyone that has power sports batteries in northern climates. It only floats it so unless you don't keep it filled with water or its not rates for Agm it would not give you a problem. Why would they sell them ?
    They sell them because people buy them, simple as that. It is like a lot of additives they sell at the auto parts stores, a total waste of money, but people buy them anyway. People don't realize they are shortening the life of the battery by using tenders, mainly because the damage is done gradually. The ideal "float" voltage for a battery is dependent upon temperature, battery construction, and other factors. It can be as tight as +/- one hundredth of a volt. There are no tenders on the market that can "float" charge a battery with this kind of tolerance, and because they cannot know what the proper tolerance for that particular battery. There are some more expensive ones ($100+) that measure the voltage level, charge for a period of time, then go back to monitoring mode. Some of these work, some don't. You might luck out and buy one that actually works.

I used to work for the largest supplier of high end battery chargers, used to charge very expensive batteries (like used in lift trucks). I can guarantee you that nobody that works in this industry uses tenders to maintain their own powersports equipment, because they know the dire consequences of using them.
    Last edited by Sea Dood; 10-24-2012 at 02:32 AM.

I can see that for some chargers, but I use the Battery Tender Juniors on everything I own. My motorcycle battery is going on its 8th year and my 4 wheeler battery on its 6th and they both start as good as day 1 and they stay plugged in at all times when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by qr3379 View Post
    I can see that for some chargers, but I use the Battery Tender Juniors on everything I own. My motorcycle battery is going on its 8th year and my 4 wheeler battery on its 6th and they both start as good as day 1 and they stay plugged in at all times when not in use.
    Let's say that your motorcycle battery dies next year. You got 9 years out of it. But it may have lasted 10-12 years had you disconnected it and topped it off occasionally. This is the point I am trying to make. You don't know what the tender is doing for your battery life, good or bad. More often than not, they shorten life of the battery. There is a trade-off to the hassle of disconnecting batteries and topping off the charge occasionally versus plugging in a tender. Batteries are hard to get at or disconnect on some vehicles, like motorcycles. Some people are too lazy to disconnect the battery. With these scenarios, it might make sense to use a tender, even if you lose some life of the battery.

FYI, I just replaced the battery in my boat, bought new in 2000.

Thread Information