Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Leaving Ski in the water overnight?

Hey guys,
    I have a place on the water where i keep my skis. At times its hard to get the skis up or out of the boat shed because of low tide causing a 5m distance of sand area from the bottom of the ramp to the water . Also i would be on the water almost every day of summer so it gets pretty annoying when I have to bring it up and down from the shed. I know that this means i wouldn't be able to flush the ski but i would still fog and spray inside the hull. If i was to do this i would bring it up every 2nd night. So how bad can this be for the ski?

Chad

+1
    any thoughts?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    dont do it. there have been many times that I have been to the lake to find someones ski sunk to the nose because they left it in the water over night with the carbon seal was leaking and didnt know it till the next morning.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    dont do it. there have been many times that I have been to the lake to find someones ski sunk to the nose because they left it in the water over night with the carbon seal was leaking and didnt know it till the next morning.
    Thanks for the heads up but im aware of those risks and im looking to see what other damage it can do to the engine/parts/hull. Also where the ski would be tied up it only gets to about a maximum of 1.5m deep.

Chad

+1
    Honestly, considering what you just paid for your last repair in Australia, I would dump that Ultra as fast as you can and get a Yamaha. If you're doing mostly rivers and smooth waters you will love a VXR or VXS and no supercharger to worry about down the road. If you keep that thing with your current warranty situation you're going to get jacked up big time on repairs. You have been warned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Honestly, considering what you just paid for your last repair in Australia, I would dump that Ultra as fast as you can and get a Yamaha. If you're doing mostly rivers and smooth waters you will love a VXR or VXS and no supercharger to worry about down the road. If you keep that thing with your current warranty situation you're going to get jacked up big time on repairs. You have been warned.
    The man ask about leaving his ski in the water overnight and you tell him to buy a Yamaha??

+1
    I use to always leave my skis in the water at night when I was camping. I have only had an issue once and it was because I had done a prop the day before and torn my driveshaft seal. My ski was full of water but because it was on the sandy beach it did not damage anything (could not sink).

Personally I would not leave a ski in the water again unless I am close to it and in fresh water. The risk is simply not worth it to me.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Salt water?

General comments, as I am not familiar with your model.

As long as the drive line (through-hull drive shaft) seals are not leaking the machine should not take on water while floating. Leave it sitting for a day or two with the seat off and check every so often for water accumulation over time. Hopefully there is zero or near zero water accumulation in the bilge.

Obviously it is important that all hose connections below the waterline are tight and not leaking.

In salty water there is the potential for corrosion to slowly work away at the metal jet pump area. I expect there is a sacrificial anode present which slows the corrosion down but does not entirely stop it.

In some waters sea creatures can quickly attach to the hull and create a cleaning hassle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Salt water?

General comments, as I am not familiar with your model.

As long as the drive line (through-hull drive shaft) seals are not leaking the machine should not take on water while floating. Leave it sitting for a day or two with the seat off and check every so often for water accumulation over time. Hopefully there is zero or near zero water accumulation in the bilge.

Obviously it is important that all hose connections below the waterline are tight and not leaking.

In salty water there is the potential for corrosion to slowly work away at the metal jet pump area. I expect there is a sacrificial anode present which slows the corrosion down but does not entirely stop it.

In some waters sea creatures can quickly attach to the hull and create a cleaning hassle.
    Thanks, i think that wasd the main issue i was worried about but then again its only for a night.

Chad

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I wouldnt get a yamaha.... The ski is fine and im around rough waters, the repair bill im not so worried about as the guy is shitting himself because we caught him out charging almsot a grand extra on parts.

Chad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information