+1

2004 MSX 140 wont idle

I have a 2004 MSX that had a bad TPS. It would start and Idle at about 2500 and not go over 3000 RPM. I replaced the TPS and now I doesn't want to Idle, However if I remove the TPS from the throttle body and advance it slightly it will Idle. If I crack the throttle slightly it will idle, but of course there is no idle stop screw. the compression and spark is good and it will rev up but wont hold an idle on the trailer. Any Ideas? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the TPS connector (bothsides) for dirt, dielectric grease or other issues with the connection pins and sockets. You want clean metal to metal contact with zero grease on the pins. I use non-residue electrical contact cleaner on the pins and metal sockets.

Also check for possible damaged or internally broken wires in the wire harness. Intermittent connections and partially broken wires can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

Is the TPS spring installed correctly?

Make sure throttle cable slack is correct. You want the TPS shaft to not start moving until the throttle lever takes up the small amount of slack in the cable. Adjustment is inline in the throttle cable just below the throttle body.

+1
    Thanks K447 I will study and inspect Your advice. Should the spring (stop or tension ) be located on the bottom or top mounting bolt? I did the best I could to install the new TPS per the enclosed instructions, but was almost positive the spring stop was originality at the top

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The circular spring should be positioned so it applies modest tension to turn the TPS towards the 'idle' direction. One end of the spring hooks into a small notch on the plastic TPS arm.

With the TPS in your hand slide one bolt into place and position the spring so it hooks the plastic arm and the other 'longer' end of the spring will then only have proper tension when held by the correct mounting bolt. The other bolt will just be in the 'wrong' place for the spring to reach. There is a medium amount of tension in the spring when the TPS is in the idle position.

I don't have a TPS handy here but I am sure I have posted various photos of the TPS with spring installed.

+1
    My Bad! Solved the problem by installing the correct Spark Plugs Didn't realize someone put Champion plugs in it, because when I got it, it would start right up but Idle at 2500 and would not accelerate, then after replacing the TPS it wouldn't Idle. Sorry for wasting everyone's time on this on.

Thread Information