Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New to forum and lost with my motor (over heating/lean?)

Hello everyone glad to be here!
    Let me get to my issue..

I recently rebuilt my 2000 xl700y due to breaking a ring on the second cylinder and now it is doing the same thing it did before the ring broke..
    The motor would bog when accelerating the throttle and would require popping the throttle to get it to accelerate.. I adjusted the low speed out to 1.5 turns and oem specs are 5/8, and it ran fine until it got hot at half throttle and started doing the same thing. Im getting water out of the telltale and it is nicely warm, what temp should the cylinder houseing be? If you touch the cylinder houseing after running for a few minutes you cant hold your hand on it..

+1
    5/8 of a turn is .625 so basicly a little more than 1/2 a turn, you went a full turn over the manual says -+1/4 turn , the jug should be warm but not too hot to the touch

Banned User
    +1
    Seems like your running lean maybe. When's last time carbs have been gone through? Fuel filters?

Just pulled the carbs apart and gave them a bath and reassembled and replaced fuel pump plate and valves.. Brand new reed valve assemblies were installed when bored out the top end and replaced pistons and rings. Im going to pressure test the cylinder jackets tonight hopefully all it is is a vacuum leak?

Well pressure tested and all checked out.. I might have lost a quarter of a pound in 20 minutes.. loosened the carbs and air leaked out.. Im guessing the next step is is to replace the carbs an see what happens..

A little background, last year when I put this thing together and put it on the water it ran great and in a mater of a few months it started running bad and I thought it was just because the first muffler had corrosion holes (that I jb welded) and water was leaking out. So I ordered a used one(after the rear cylinder broke a ring) and installed it after the rebuild and Im where I was before with the throttle (haveing to tap it, sometime a few time to get it to accelerate) (dont know what the heat temp was then) acting up.. So I am guessing? THat it is the carbs? And needing replacement?

Banned User
    +1
    Carb gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Carb gasket?
    Nahh after 20 minutes I wanted to test my gauge to make sure it wasnt just holding the pressure at the needle.. I unbolted the carbs some to see if the pressure would release..

Would yall lean twards carbs? Last year after rebuilding them w aftermarket kit , it ran great, then with in 2 months gradually started issues with accelerating and then bamm broke a ring...
    Of course using fuel w ethanol....

+1
    I have a set of carbs from a 01 xl with new gaskets spring etc, i bought another set thinking i was my carb but it wasnt $150 shipped they are not new but in good working condition, let me know

+1
    First question that comes to my mind is "what caused the rings to fail"? Did it melt due to a lean condition? What does that spark plug look like? If it's like most ring failures it melted due to a lean condition and hard running.

Spark plugs are black as hell but not melted, And where the ring broke it certainly shows heat on that area that broke, It broke on the exhaust manifold side and it was only the rear cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by SMLaker View Post
    First question that comes to my mind is "what caused the rings to fail"? Did it melt due to a lean condition? What does that spark plug look like? If it's like most ring failures it melted due to a lean condition and hard running.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information