250/260 pump liner

Has anyone ever replaced? I was looking at an old pump of mine and it got me thinking what a waste to bin it, I spoke to my Dad about machining it out (sheet metal fabricator with CNC machine shop) and machining some stainless to replace, but reckon we would have to take more out and put a thicker liner in (3mm thick).

Also I have access to ceramic coating which is used for coating semiconductor vacuum pumps etc... mmm make a pump liner out of billet and ceramic coat the inner part. The finish is really smooth, with water just running off like it is waxed, and as tough as anything, run a Stanley blade over it and it blunts the blade with no mark on the ceramic

Just thoughts at the moment, but just curious on if it has been done? and thoughts on the ceramic?

+1

250/260 pump liner

Quote Originally Posted by kwakmat View Post
    Has anyone ever replaced? I was looking at an old pump of mine and it got me thinking what a waste to bin it, I spoke to my Dad about machining it out (sheet metal fabricator with CNC machine shop) and machining some stainless to replace, but reckon we would have to take more out and put a thicker liner in (3mm thick).

Also I have access to ceramic coating which is used for coating semiconductor vacuum pumps etc... mmm make a pump liner out of billet and ceramic coat the inner part. The finish is really smooth, with water just running off like it is waxed, and as tough as anything, run a Stanley blade over it and it blunts the blade with no mark on the ceramic

Just thoughts at the moment, but just curious on if it has been done? and thoughts on the ceramic?
    I've never heard of it being done, but if you can do it I have two pumps that could use repair. Just name your price. Haha

Banned User
    +1

250/260 pump liner

You. Can replace the liner j

+1
    The ceramic is tough but it is also brittle. Not sure where you ride but if something hard went through, you'd run the risk of shattering it. I know what you mean about tough though, we're testing some alumina ceramic at work at the moment for acidic resistance. Trying to cut it to put into beakers was a mission ie almost impossible!

I do remember a thread that Skip chimed in on about replacing the liner, searching should find it.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    You. Can replace the liner j
    Is there a company that sell liners? Or was it an in house manufacturing?

Looking at it to make will be a challenge as the tolerances are so tight, also fitting it will be fun, suspect we will have to put the liner in a freezer, heat the pump and quickly put them together with some locking compound between hoping it doesn't pinch up before the liner is fully home.

Yeah ceramic is can be brittle and because of that it may not be an option, I need to have a chat with the guy who devolved the machine that coats with ceramic. I know he has done alot of experimental work to see what applications it can be used in. I know they have coated a piston crown with it, and they coat vacuum pumps which are rotas and stators to increase the life of the pump.

+1
    if your dad owns a cnc machine shop machining and fitting a new liner would be no hard task, just an everyday job if he knows his work

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    if your dad owns a cnc machine shop machining and fitting a new liner would be no hard task, just an everyday job if he knows his work
    Doesn't own but works as a fabricator (sheet metal worker) with machine shop in back of factory he can use and that was my thoughts as well when looking into it.

However the thickness of the current liner is quite thin at around 2mm, so if he was to fabricate the liner separately there is an issue in clamping it with the 3 jaws and machining it with out losing it's shape as you need to be 100% square when milling through it. I did ask about keeping the liner thicker and machine the OS Dia first, fit it into the pump and then machine the inside Dia, he thought this could be done but the centre part of the pump protrudes to where the liner goes which would require a special tool to be produced first off set from the centre so it misses this. Also getting a piece of stainless pipe/tube that is around 8-10" long with the right IS/OS diameters to be machined, the metal suppliers will most probably sell in industrial lengths like X amount of meters (Ft) at a high cost (way more than pump worth).
    Did talk about rolling some stainless sheet around 3mm thick to produce a tube to be machined but again not the easiest thing as the weld may have imperfections when machined back.

My dad asked how much a new pump cost and I quoted around £300 ($450), he replied 'buy a new pump'. as to set up machinery and get the small amount of material required and hours spent etc... new pump would work out more economical in cost & hours.

So if a company already sells a liner, it would be far easier to buy and fit that, than trying to source material to be worked on with alot of setting up etc....

He is looking into what material (odds and ends) they might have in the factory that could be used, but if they haven't got anything then buying a 5 Meter length (minimum order) of stainless around 7" OS Dia with a 6" inside Dia is not cost affective

Thread Information