Brown stuff leaking from back storage cover

Hello folks, I sold my RXTiS and bought a left over 2011 Speedster 150 with the shrink wrap still on it. The RXTiS was the BEST ski I've ever owned or ridden, BARR NONE! But this boat is way more practical for spending time on the water with my youngest daughter (now 8 been swimming since she was less than 2). She loves the ocean and swimming/snorkeling/wakeboarding/lookning for sea glass on remote beaches. We did that for two years on the RXTiS but reality is the ski was too small for what we tried to do. We had a blast when all we did was tour but we didn't do a lot of that...

Anyway - the deed is done and we're having a better time than I expected with the jet boat. We can still go to all the same places, but just a little slower than before. The storage and overall comfort is hands down better than any ski but that's really an apples to orange comparison which really isn't fair to either one.

I have only one real problem with the boat - did a search and couldn't find anything so maybe someone here can help.

This brown sticky stuff leaks out of the same edge of the fiber glass on the rear engine compartment cover - same place every time. It's weird cause you'd think the fiberglass was solid and weirder cause you cant see any holes where the leak is coming from. I thought it was a bee trying to build a nest the first time I saw it. But then it keeps coming back after I wipe it, and even with the cover on so I know it's not something external to the boat causing it.

Took it to the dealer for the 10 hour check up and showed him the pix of it. It was the first he'd heard/seen it he said...but then he had a 2009 model there and it had the same brown leaky stuff that mine does, and in the exact same spot...

Long story short - anyone else experience the same thing and if so, what did you do about it?

Sorry for the long ass post just to get to the last sentence...enjoy

pic of what I'm talking about...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0591.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	285905  

Re: Brown stuff leaking from back storage cover

whats it feel like? is it sticky? was it there when you unwrapped it? or only after using it?

I wasn't there when they unwrapped it. It may be water/glue that leaks somehow but that should be impossible if the fiberglass and gel coat have integrity. The weird thing is the 09 at the dealer also had the leak in the exact same spot...

I have a 2010, speedster 150 255, it has the exact same thing coming out of the engine cover.. it keeps coming out.

I suspect it has something to do with water falling on top of the lid and running under the cushion, then somehow getting inside the lid, which is made of tow fiberglass parts glued together.

I think that at the edges of the lid where its glued together, in the union there are some little holes where the water comes out. What I don't now is why is it brown and if its s reaction with the fiberglas, something else or, the water or something is rotting.

I know water can get inside the lid because it has a drain hole on the inside, and we should check if the brown stuff comes out of there also (Ill check tomorrow). And I think it only comes out of mine when it rains or water from spry falls over the lid...

If you have any idea or find something else please let us know. I think maybe applying resin with a brush all around the lip of the lid, but then I don't know if its worst to have all that liquid(stuff) trapped inside the lid..

+1
    It looks like something is rusted and water is dripping rust on your boat.
    That's what it looks like to me...

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    It looks like something is rusted and water is dripping rust on your boat.
    That's what it looks like to me...
    Yea I thought about that, but it doesn't look like that..

From what I can tell it comes out liquid but thicker then water, kinda like a syrup, and as it dries it gets thicker and gooier almost like honey, but not as sticky or tacky as honey. Its brown transparent but sometimes kinda creamy, and it seems odorless. It definitely doesn't look like water stained with rust, its something else. And its annoying because it keeps coming out even after more then a year since I bought the boat..

I wish someone could have a clue as to what this is or could be... Im guessing it has something to do with the fiber glass process and materials, so maybe someone who knows about fiberglass could help..

hi, i had the same problem with my challenger.

Water passed the hinges to the engine compartement and they started to rust.

I changed the bolts to stainless and sealed the hinges - problem gone.

Patrick, switzerland

Hey folks...it gets a lot colder here in Okinawa during the winter than I remember...anyway - boat was under the cover since the end of October. Took the cover off to clean/wax/check the battery etc before taking it out and the brown crap was still there...still not sure what it is but my bro's boat (same year, model, bought the same time etc) doesn't do it. The front right compartment cover leaks the same stuff too...I'm gonna monitor and see how it goes. Took the boat out a couple of weekends ago and didn't see any of the brown stuff about 10 days later. If it keeps doing it I'm gonna make the dealer replace the parts under warranty...

Thread Information