Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Winterizing my 2004 Virage Anti-freeze question!!!

I have seen multiple wasy online none of which seem practical i have seen people use squeeze bottles and fill the lines....
    some put a pump in a 5 gal bucket and pump it into were the water takes in (seadoo)

My question is couldn't you put it in the salt-away containers that they use to flush out the engine with a water mix?

Thought of this last night since this will be my first winter with the ski in NJ i want to be as CAREFUL as possible especially since it sat for 4 years before this summer!!

Let me know what you folks think

Thanks guys,

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Using a Saltaway should work, But I haven't seen one in about 3 years when I was in Cali.

Banned User
    +1
    Cooling system is self draining. Antifreeze isn't necessary on a Polaris.

+1

Then why does it mention it in matienence!?

Using this with antifreeze in it^^

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    check this from the knowledge database.
    https://86aa05d8-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0

the only problem with the salt away type thing is whats the maximum amount of product that can be mixed? percentage wise? and then your just gonna gun over half water through the system and blow it out with the exhaust anyway its probably not worth it.
    what I did was i used a turkey baster and put some in the water box, then i opened my flush port and squirted it in (which then ran out through the pump) then tilted trailer forward, pinched hose and basted some down the cooling rail so hopefully its laying in the bottom of the case/exhaust. If polaris is telling us that its self draining i believe it since there based in what minnesota or wisconsin?

Banned User
    +1
    Yes they are self draining. Just fire up the motor and rev it a few times to blow excess water out of the water box.

+1

I hope so thank you guys!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have been focussed elsewhere, just happened by...

Salt water or fresh water machine?

If salt water riding then salt-away and fresh water flushing are important, not just for winter but after normal riding too. Polaris has specific recommendations for salt water operation and proper maintenance, not only fresh water engine flushing but engine fogging after every ride! And fresh water wash down of the engine outside and hull interior, plus the jet pump area.

If fresh water riding then no issue with simple gravity draining of the cooling system before winter and then spraying fogging oil into the engine.

Note: Fuel injected Ficht engines require that the nose of the ski be tipped up at least ten degrees (I would do steeper) to ensure water fully drains from the EMM and stator cover water jacket. Once drained, the ski can be stored level or tipped upwards.

The very early Fuji engine models (1992 and 1993, as I recall) have extra water cooling in the bottom of the engine and require hoses to be disconnected to fully drain the crankcase water jacket. That same Fuji crank case water jacket has a tendency to get internally clogged with sand or silt, so be on the watch for that.
    Last edited by K447; 10-27-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cascivic View Post

the only problem with the salt away type thing is whats the maximum amount of product that can be mixed? percentage wise? and then your just gonna gun over half water through the system and blow it out with the exhaust anyway its probably not worth it.
    what I did was i used a turkey baster and put some in the water box, then i opened my flush port and squirted it in (which then ran out through the pump) then tilted trailer forward, pinched hose and basted some down the cooling rail so hopefully its laying in the bottom of the case/exhaust. If polaris is telling us that its self draining i believe it since there based in what minnesota or wisconsin?
    Salt-Away product works by chemically reacting with the salt and dissolving it. After treatment the salt is neutralized and the product leaves an anti-salt corrosion protection coating on the inside of the cooling system.

While Salt-away can safely remain inside the cooling system for long periods of time, I do not think it appropriate to freeze the engine with pockets of water plus salt-away inside. The normal approach is to circulate the salt-away product through the cooling system, then allow the system to drain.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cascivic View Post

Salt-Away product works by chemically reacting with the salt and dissolving it. After treatment the salt is neutralized and the product leaves an anti-salt corrosion protection coating on the inside of the cooling system.

While Salt-away can safely remain inside the cooling system for long periods of time, I do not think it appropriate to freeze the engine with pockets of water plus salt-away inside. The normal approach is to circulate the salt-away product through the cooling system, then allow the system to drain.
    I was going to use the salt away canister to put antifreeze in.. Not salt away..
    But since its self draining I'm not going to even worry about it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information