Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Another reason to change some of the cooling hoses on the 300x...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20121027_172439.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	286119Hi gents...ran into some problems today as I was riding with a friend suddenly "overheat" ...assumed the pump is clogged with debri...water there is notorious for that...but after jumping in feeling around ,nothing so he towed me 1/2mile back to ramp...once on the trailer we saw the cooling hose off the pump was off... clamp loosened over time maybe ?...after putting her back on and tightening clamp with snubnose phillips (next time a 6mm open end wrench) and a ziptie, was on my way back on the water...but mentioned to my buddy how easy it fit back on the barb fitting...should fit snugger...sure enough after cruising 40-45 mph I opened up and the ''overheat" came on again!....jumped back in the water and sure enough the hose came off again...just put it back on and idled back to ramp ok....

Its been mentioned on GH about upgrading to high pressure hoses....don't remember if anyone having issues right there...seen oil cooler split by one member...I recommend switching to a silicone polyester braided high pressure right there!...thats where the pressure is strongest right at that pump strainer....Yamis are a bit different....

Anybody come across this problem too?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I had mine come off after swapping impellers when I forgot to tighten the clamps, burnt up the exhaust coupler and would have sunk the ski if it weren't for GL coming to tow me back and my bilge pump. I ended up hanging off the back of the ski holding my hand over the exhaust tip because a 3 inch hole in the bottom of a ski is way more than even an 1100 gph bilge.

MAKE SURE THE HOSE CLAMPS ARE TIGHT!!!

Sean

+1
    i dont understand why you suggest others switch out to a high pressure silicon hose!! you are the only one that had had this problem i would think its more to do with a loose hose clamp.. they dont just blow off a barbed fitting for no reason, have you ever had the pump out, or even bothered to nip up all your hose clamps as part of a service?

+1
    Never happened to me and I pull my pump VERY often. I still have to pull very hard to get those hoses off.
    I think you need to check that this hose or a connecting hose inside and be sure it has not gotten pinched causing excessive pressure on that section causing it to blow off. One thing I have seen people do often is when they are removing their pump they loosen the clamp that you have loose and then they pull on the pump with the hoses still on it causing the hoses to slip back on the white plastic thru hull fittings. When they reinstall the pump it ends up kinking that short hose that blew off on your ski.
    Not saying you would ever do something like that.
    I do not think anyone needs to replace this hose. What everyone needs to do if they pull their pump is before reinstalling it be sure that all the hoses coming from the hull to the pump are all the way on the thru hulls so they will have a proper fit everywhere.

+1
    That clamp was retighten quite well...first time maybe not...but the second time!...maybe a bad clamp ?...that hose should have a snugger fitting...shouldn't be that easy to slide on...

I'll just put on better hose, and ck everything...it persist then I figure it out
    Did I ever have my pump out???

Banned User
    +1

Another reason to change some of the cooling hoses on the 300x...

Use a 6mm socket and do the clamp up properly only time I've had mine come off and I was being lazy after reinstalling my pump and did a half ass job tightening with a screw driver.

+1
    well for me it certainly can't hurt putting a high pressure silicone hose on and new tightened clamp..always checked and tightened hoses under seat...but never checked around outside of pump...oil cooler and intercooler lines were snug and fine...

Thanks GL will check the whole line..yes Fire will carry a 6mm open end and miny rachet with 6mm socket...should of had them on the ski instead of garage....important

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    I use the part under the rear seat to carry "real tools". Yep, 6mm socket 100%.

Maybe the inside of the hose is damaged now?

Check everything else. Hopefully you don't have a blockage somewhere else that's causes excess pressure?

I don't thing this hose needs replacing. It's not hot water and I wouldn't think it has that much pressure?

Cheers, Mal

That hose shouldn't be coming off like that. You could have some "slime" on the connector piece and on the inside of the hose making things slippery. Clean off both with some Brake Cleaner and re install. That should help.

Also, I see a little rust in this Pic! Make sure you spray down the Pump area with some WD40 / Silicone Spray after you ride.

Hunker down for Sandy; looks like she is going to be a real Bitch for a few days there. JB

10. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the replys...but gonna put a 80psi polyester braided silicone and new clamp and be more aware back there and tighten .... I like the way those braided hoses snug and "bite down" on the barb fittings,it just extra insurance...not suggesting anyone do the same

That glue idea sounds good Waz..might use a tad amount....

Realized that the clamps were never removed before as during pump removal just removed the strainer inlet (except the IC hose removed) hoses stayed intact ...factory might have tighten but its your responsibilty to ck from time to time....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information