Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question OIL CHANGE for Newbie (me!)

Hi there. I am just starting to do my own maintenance/winterization on my ski. I have never really had an interest until now but I am really starting to do some research. I did all of my own winterization this year. I have a 1994-98 Kawasaki STS 750 3 seater.

My main questions is what oil do I need to change and how often. I was under the impression that there is impeller oil (sorry for being so ignorant on this one) but I pulled the whole back end off and the impeller cap and there was no oil just a drive shaft screw. Does this ski have impeller oil that needs to be changed and how do I access it?

Also, does it have crankshaft oil or a magneto case oil that needs change? Thanks.

Phil

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

OIL CHANGE for Newbie (me!)

Last edited by cascivic; 10-27-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks. I appreciate the reply.

Winterization has been pretty smooth

My main question is that I have read that impeller oil and magneto case oil needs changed. Is this true for my ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cascivic View Post

I am having trouble viewing the replies. Why can't I ready them?

When the guys replies pop up all I see is a number....1 or 2. I don't see any words. Can anyone help?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPhil View Post
    Hi there. I am just starting to do my own maintenance/winterization on my ski. I have never really had an interest until now but I am really starting to do some research. I did all of my own winterization this year. I have a 1994-98 Kawasaki STS 750 3 seater.

My main questions is what oil do I need to change and how often. I was under the impression that there is impeller oil (sorry for being so ignorant on this one) but I pulled the whole back end off and the impeller cap and there was no oil just a drive shaft screw. Does this ski have impeller oil that needs to be changed and how do I access it?

Also, does it have crankshaft oil or a magneto case oil that needs change? Thanks.

Phil
    PhD, MD, JD, DO. DDS, DDM... Phil, it was a joke - my replying to the number 1 with a number 2.

To answer your question in an efficient manner, your ski is a 2-Stroke engine, which does not contain crankcase engine oil that requires changing - per specific intervals defined in the Owner's Manual (Manufacturer's Recommendations) - as is defined for the newer 4-Stroke engines.

Your engine lubrication oil is 2-Cycle Marine oil, and is added via an oil injection system. Be certain your oil tank (plastic) is filled with 2-Cycle Marine oil. I used teh Kawasaki Sauce when I had my 2-Stroke Jet-Ski.

Concerning the STS Model and the Jet-Pump (Impeller) - maybe those more familiar with this model can "chime-in" as to whether this is a sealed-unit not requiring any maintenance. Maybe the likes of NM Peter, or Steve45 will add their expertise.

In terms of "winterizing" - there are many threads on this subject. Simply use the "Search" command in the upper right of the screen and "educate away".

I add fuel stabilizer to the fuel, and if you use fuel containing ethanol - I recommend that type of stabilizer. I would run this mixture a bit to ensure it reaches the carbs, then pull the plugs and squirt a little bit of 2-stroke oil in each cylinder (spark plug hole). Rotate the engine briefly and then reinsert the plugs.

Lastly, if the ski will be subjected to freezing temps (<32*F) I would run some anti-freeze through the cooling system.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck !!!

Haha...gotcha. I thought I was going crazy!

DocPhilMD.

I pulled the whole back end out and ended with no oil compartment as I saw on some youtube videos so I'm guessing its a sealed unit. I PMed NMpeter and Steve 45 though. Thanks for the info!

Phil

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States

OIL CHANGE for Newbie (me!)

Yea I had replied because I misread and thought you wanted to know how to winterize. When I realized you meant the pump I just edited it to 1. I think kawis are like my Polaris where it's a packed bearing and you use grease but I couldn't find anything exactly so I figured someone would chime in

+1
    No oil to change. There's a plug on the front cover that appears to be an oil filler hole--but it's NOT. Do NOT put oil in there, either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information