Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

1997 STX 1100 electrical issues - please help

alright so first I'll catch you up to where I'm at... I bought the ski with a box full of parts/nuts/bolts, pretty much a nightmare but I didn't pay much of anything and it had good compression and a solid eZloader trailer so I went for it. got it all back together last week, got the new starter solenoid put in yesterday... charged the battery and it fired right up... Video from yesterday: ran it on the hose about 5 minutes (forgot to check for charging voltage at the time) and everything worked perfectly, turned it off a few times and restarted it, all was well.
    So I shut it down, cleaned up all my tools, and hooked it up to the car to go fill it up with gas for today. so I got back home, did a couple things, and right before I was going to put the cover on it and call it a night I figured I'd kick it over one more time..... battery is dead. So I charged it back up today, went to go find out where my current draw was coming from, wasn't able to measure any amperage being drawn from the battery at all when I hooked it up, so I figured maybe something was just wet and dried out and is good to go now, so I went to fire it up and see what the charging voltage was, so I hit the start button and it doens't fire after about 10 seconds of cranking so I let go... and it still keeps cranking... I pull the lanyard... it still keeps cranking... I turn the key off.... it still keeps cranking!! there's smoke pouring from the electrical box at this point so frantically I unscrewed the pos lead on the battery terminal ( burning the sh*t out of my hands in the process) and everything goes quiet. I took the cover off the box and the leads going to my rectifier/regulator were fried (mainly the black wire in the middle of the two brown wires). now I had assumed the regulator was probably the cause of my battery drain and not charging, and that's what i was checking for when all hell broke loose, but my question is why would that cause the starter to stay cranking the way it did? I ordered the rectifier and new connectors/wires leading to it, but should I be searching for another issue somewhere before I put the new stuff in and fry it or would that make sense for the starter to stay turning like that with a bad rectifier ? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys. oh and PS.... when I hooked the battery back up after it wouldn't stop cranking, it did not automatically start cranking the starter again, but when I hit the starter button it did crank, and then continued to keep cranking until I undid the battery again (much faster this time). I need a good push in the right direction! help! thanks again guys

+1
    If the starter relay sticks, it will continue cranking regardless of the key/start button.

Keep in mind that you should NEVER allow the water to run when the engine is not running or you run the risk of water backing up through the exhaust and into the cylinders. Could this have happened to you? You really need to get one of those inline valves for your flush hose.

Usually, if you get water in it, it won't even crank, but you may have gotten a little in the cylinders and got the spark plugs wet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    If the starter relay sticks, it will continue cranking regardless of the key/start button.

Keep in mind that you should NEVER allow the water to run when the engine is not running or you run the risk of water backing up through the exhaust and into the cylinders. Could this have happened to you? You really need to get one of those inline valves for your flush hose.

Usually, if you get water in it, it won't even crank, but you may have gotten a little in the cylinders and got the spark plugs wet.

yeah I'm well aware of this, I started the ski, ran over and turned the hose on 1/4 way, let it run a few minutes, went and turned the hose off, disconnected it from the house so the water from the hose would run out that way and not into my ski, and then turned the ski off. no chance of water intrusion. The solenoid had moved a little, I'm wondering if the terminals may have hit against the casing and completed the circuit when I cranked it. I'm confused as to why that would fry the rectifier leads though. it was a nice thought, but try again
    Last edited by tcknapp; 10-28-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: it sounded like I was being a cocky condescending prick without the smiley face

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tcknapp View Post
    The solenoid had moved a little, I'm wondering if the terminals may have hit against the casing and completed the circuit when I cranked it. I'm confused as to why that would fry the rectifier leads though. it was a nice thought, but try again
    I guess you're talking about the starter relay, as there is no solenoid in these things. Why would it have moved? It's inside the electrical box.

Like I said, if it continues to crank with the switch & key off, it's the relay.

+1
    The solenoid had moved a little, I'm wondering if the terminals may have hit against the casing and completed the circuit when I cranked it. I'm confused as to why that would fry the rectifier leads though. it was a nice thought, but try again
    I guess you're talking about the starter relay, as there is no solenoid in these things. Why would it have moved? It's inside the electrical box.

Like I said, if it continues to crank with the switch & key off, it's the relay.

Alright steve, time for you to stop talking... if you don't know the answer then don't reply, I don't need someone telling me things I already know that are completely unrelated to what I am asking about....I ask about a rectifier and you tell me the procedure to run my jet ski on a hose? I ask if there's anywhere else I should look and you tell me the location of the parts that I said I already replaced..... and the oem part says "Starter Solenoid Relay" both in the parts list on on the part itself if you really want to get technical about it.... but yes that is what I'm referring to, and i understand what you are saying about the relay sticking, and I understand that if it sticks than it will cause the starter to crank regardless of the key position, but your ingenious response completely overlooks the fact that I was frying rectifier leads, not starter relay leads, and if it's sticking then why is it unsticking and resetting when I disconnect the battery? either you; a) think you're smarter than you really are, or b) think I'm stupider than I really am, and in either case, I'd like to say thank you for your time but your input is no longer required here as you've done nothing but frustrate me with your ignorance.

+1
    I have a theory in my brain that makes sense, let me run it buy you guys and see if it makes any sense to you... as stated, the solenoid had shifted a little in the box due to deteriorated rubber bushings I reused from the old one... I think the starter post on the solenoid was pushing against the case for the electrical box, so when I hit the starter button it put 12 volts to that post for the starter, and also put 12 volts to the entire electrical box, which is used as a grounding point for everything in the box, so in turn what I'd done is put 12 + volts to the ground side of my entire electrical system... which would keep the starter solenoid tripped open until the power is removed, and also would burn out the ground wire on my rectifier. does this make sense to anyone else? I'm no master electrician but in theory I think that sounds logical ... yes?

+1

Alright steve, time for you to stop talking... if you don't know the answer then don't reply, I don't need someone telling me things I already know that are completely unrelated to what I am asking about....I ask about a rectifier and you tell me the procedure to run my jet ski on a hose? I ask if there's anywhere else I should look and you tell me the location of the parts that I said I already replaced..... and the oem part says "Starter Solenoid Relay" both in the parts list on on the part itself if you really want to get technical about it.... but yes that is what I'm referring to, and i understand what you are saying about the relay sticking, and I understand that if it sticks than it will cause the starter to crank regardless of the key position, but your ingenious response completely overlooks the fact that I was frying rectifier leads, not starter relay leads, and if it's sticking then why is it unsticking and resetting when I disconnect the battery? either you; a) think you're smarter than you really are, or b) think I'm stupider than I really am, and in either case, I'd like to say thank you for your time but your input is no longer required here as you've done nothing but frustrate me with your ignorance.
    I don't know if anyone will answer after those comments. Steve was sincerely trying to help you as he has done for so many others here. He doesn't know your knowledge level with ski's so he was trying to give basic info/covering basics so another problem would not be created. He is also not there to check things out in person so he only has what info you posted to go on.

As to what you have come to think the problem is, sounds logical to me, especially since the leads are frying from a direct electrical short. Get that corrected and your problem will most likely be solved. So many times we have to go through a whole list of probable causes to finally find the solution. And naturally it's important to pay attention to detail so we don't create another problem while trying to solve the original one.

And after saying all that, I haven't helped you either except to agree with what you think is going wrong. Please take the time to come back and tell us whether that was it or not so we can all learn from the situation. Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Sorry I tried to help! I won't make the mistake of trying to help you again. If you're so fucking smart, why can't you just figure it out yourself to begin with?

Perhaps you need to learn to write coherent sentences so we can better understand what you're asking.

Your video shows your 'Ski out in the street, which is probably well away from your faucet. That's why I mentioned that you shouldn't run the water without the engine running. Since you're new here, we have no idea what your experience level is.

Just so you know, a relay is a coil that controls a switch. A solenoid is a coil that moves a mechanical device (i.e. a valve or starter drive). A starter solenoid is mounted on the starter, if this design used one. The relay is mounted in the electrical box.

If this were about who is smarter, trust me, you wouldn't stand a chance.

+1
    texas, thank you very much for your constructive input, I will be sure to post back with my findings/results after I dig back into it when the parts come on thursday... Steve, once again, thanks for wasting my time. If you really want to pick apart my video that much, why don't you watch the last 3 seconds of it and you'll see me following the hose back to the house to turn it off while the motor is still clearly running... so once again thanks for your Einstein level of genius. You're clearly a very over competitive wanna-be know-it-all who's gotta turn everything into a competition about who knows more, and so far you've demonstrated that you know very little. So again, I appreciate you taking the time to try to help, but if your idea of helping is talking down to people and providing redundant information, you can take your "help" somewhere else because it's not welcome here.

+1
    Too bad your parents never taught you manners.

It will be interesting to see if anybody else offers help. Perhaps you need to go over to PWCToday, they cater to idiots like you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information