99 Ultra 150 wont rev past 5500 rpms

Hey guys,

picked up a 99 Ultra 150 that the guy got fed up with. He said the last time he was out it lost power and would only go 35-40 mph. It sat for 2 yrs since. I picked it up cheap thinking it was a bad cylinder. To my surprise all cylinders and at an even 120 psi.

What ive done....

Flushed the tank, put new fuel in it.
    New battery
    Pulled the carbs & fuel pump apart to make sure they wernt gummed up. Everything looked spotless inside. Took it to the lake, idles great, but wont rev past 5500 ish.
    Verified the reeds were in good shape.

I did notice he had the 00+ BR9ES plugs in it, so Im going to put the crazy expensive plugs in it as soon as they come in (had to special order them because noone stocks them)

But to test it on the trailer I figured it wouldnt hurt just to see if it will rev up. He said the kawi dealer who servied it last put them in, and he ran it for years like that. It says right on the airbox ONLY USE HIGH PERFORMANCE PLUGS, and calls for the R6918C-9 on the spec plate.

Any ideas on what else I can check that would cause this issue?

There is a Throttle sensor on the carbs, could this have gone bad causing the timing not to advance correctly or somthing?

Any help would be great!

Thanks guys!

+1
    You might look at the jet pump. The bearings don't last that long and they're known to cause problems.

The expensive spark plugs were required on hull numbers 41803 and lower. They didn't change the sticker on the flame arrestor. I run them in mine and like them because they resist fouling and last a long time. I'm still running the original plugs in my '99 (they give you a spare set when you send in the warranty card).

I havn't tried revving it WOT on the trailer yet...But If goes up to the rev limiter I would assume that would rule out the bearings?

Thanks for the info on the Vin#s . I will check that out tomm.

+1
    Don't know. The pump would be unloaded, so it wouldn't be the same. Bad pump bearings will often make a rattling sound when idling in the water. How many hours on it?

nmpeter has made several posts about pump problems and pump rebuilding.

A couple of people have had trouble with the throttle position sensor, but I don't know how severely that affected performance. You might try doing a search for that.

+1
    i would say wait till you put new plugs in then see how it goes.

Chad

Just started having the same issue. Out of water I get 8000 rpm. In water it's seemingly limited to 5500. I'm thinking I have a cavitation issue or bad bearings in the jet pump. I'll repair and let you know the results. Maybe they'll help. I also have a bad rattle.

+1
    You may have a carburetor slide sticking. Remove the flame arrestor and start it on the trailer. Blip the throttle a few times and you should see the slides move freely.

+1
    Sounds like a similar problem I had on one of mine ... have you checked the wires? Pull the boots off and check there. I had one that would idle perfect, rev to the moon on the trailer and fall flat on it's face in the water. After fighting with it for weeks on end and several test runs in the later, cutting back the wires a touch fixed my problems. It ran like a raped ape afterwards.

My pump was good. No cavitation either. I think my problems electrical. Does your jetski rev to 5500 quickly and then stop as if limited? Or does it slowly make its way to 5500? Mine jumps up to 5500 quickly then just stops.

+1
    Id look into the carb slides as Steve mentioned earlier. I had one misassembled and found one slide to not be opening. Made a world of a difference

Thread Information