Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting a Hull

+1

Cutting a Hull

So a little while back I bought a pretty roughed up '96 SLX to be used as a parts ski. It came with a trailer, which I just sold a few days ago for the amount that I paid for the two of them so as of now I'm only in the red for the gas it took to pick it up!

I don't want the hull, it's beat to hell, has a hole in it and I have no title for it. It's garbage, correct? I have a grinding wheel/cut-off tool at home, both an electric and a pneumatic, and I plan on just cutting it up and slowly throwing it away, or just tossing it in the dumpster at work with the boss' permission. Does cutting the material make a dust or fume that I should be concerned about? Is there any support or re-bar style stuff hidden inside the fiberglass for structural support? Also, most importantly, what blade type should I use?

I assume this is going to be quick and easy, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks!
    -James

+1
    i like using a sawzall and yes theres dust when you cut it up and theres metal in some of the hulls to

+1
    I use a sawzall with a wood blade. For longer, accesible, flat cuts, I'll use a circular saw.

Some pointers:

The top part is pretty easy. I usually cut around the top rail and quarter it.
    The bottom part is THICK, so when you decide where to start, strategically select a place that you'll miss the cross supports.
    Pull out as much foam as you can before you start cutting.
    Dust flies everywhere, so do it outside if you can, and wear a mask.

Banned User
    +1
    Use a demolition blade in the sawzall made for cutting wood with nails. Should cut pretty easy with that.

+1
    Definitely sawzall. Grinding wheel will take too long and create way too much dust......

+1
    I don't want the hull, it's beat to hell, has a hole in it and I have no title for it. It's garbage, correct? I have a grinding wheel/cut-off tool at home, both an electric and a pneumatic, and I plan on just cutting it up and slowly throwing it away, or just tossing it in the dumpster at work with the boss' permission. Does cutting the material make a dust or fume that I should be concerned about? Is there any support or re-bar style stuff hidden inside the fiberglass for structural support? Also, most importantly, what blade type should I use?

I assume this is going to be quick and easy, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks!
    -James[/QUOTE]

This will be neither quick or easy, these hulls are tough, I did one this summer, I would never do it again. I went through 4 packs of heavy duty sawzall blades, then went to a 7 1/4 carbide saw, that went faster. Make sure you have every part of your skin covered or you will itch for weeks & heavy duty dust masks too. I had to throw out my clothes, gloves & shoes afterwards. I don't think there will be any metal in the hull, other than bolted on stuff. If you have access to a dumspter that you can put the whole thing in, even if you have to pay a little, its worth it!

+1
    I used a long metal cutting blade in my sawzall. Made quick work of it. I agree with RLACEMAN though, head to toe clothing. The metal blade kept the dust down quite a bid. A circular blade will really kick up the dust as will a grinder......

+1
    10" wood blade on a sawzall and about 15 minutes if you know how to use it. Only buy sawzall brand blades!! All others suck.

We use to do cars in about an hour

+1
    Crap. I figured this would be a little easier than you guys are making it out to be. I guess I need to steal my dads sawzall.

Ugh, this dust does not sound fun.

Banned User
    +1
    Bosch makes good blades as well. Just don't buy the cheapos.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information