Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    98GSXLIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hot Springs AR
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2

    HELP!! 98 GSX limited just wanna hear this baby purrr....

    Hey guys been a long time reader thanks to all for the amazing help and advice!


    hear is my delimma forgive me if there is already a thread close to this but hear is my plea for help !



    Ive got a 98 GSXL and have put a new motor in and done a fuel line change also new starter and battery .. went to start and from the first time i turned over the starter kinda missed continued this on and off bit the entire time i tried to start ... i immediatly started to diagnose the ski as having a bad start button or connection or the battery being weak since it was brand new out of box.. glass mat so no prior charge was given.. anyways after the battery dying i blamed it all on that, took to auto parts store said it was good so had them charge .. brought ski back day 2 .. starter is solid for the first couple cranks no studder and ski sounds good but no fuel no start also the crank on the engine slowly winded down and then a clicking started in the electrical box i assumed that was a sign of the battery finally giving up ... now ive got a ski that just clicks a new motor, new starter ( Which i now think is bad) and a ski that wont start.. T

    Things i have done and know now just so you guys know where im at :

    1. i learned that the choke has to be pulled and held till engine starts.. did this second time not first ..never started before bought and restored so i wasent aware u had to do this untill second time i tried..

    2. Checked ground to starter and positive both tight..

    3. Checked Starter solinoid its good.

    4. would check fuse i read about in the electrical box but didnt see this in electrical box???

    5. checked all fuses to mpem all good.. also my info center has water in the screen.. and didnt work at first but has since come on and gone off at will dont know if this matters but let you guys know anyway..

    6. had carbs rebuilt all new parts installed.. new fuel lines also a inline fuel filter before carbs.. which hasent filled up yet ..

    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I AM AT MY WITS END LOL



  2. #2
    carlosdelgado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    West palm beach,FL
    Posts
    1,441
    +1
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by 98GSXLIM View Post
    Hey guys been a long time reader thanks to all for the amazing help and advice!


    hear is my delimma forgive me if there is already a thread close to this but hear is my plea for help !



    Ive got a 98 GSXL and have put a new motor in and done a fuel line change also new starter and battery .. went to start and from the first time i turned over the starter kinda missed continued this on and off bit the entire time i tried to start ... i immediatly started to diagnose the ski as having a bad start button or connection or the battery being weak since it was brand new out of box.. glass mat so no prior charge was given.. anyways after the battery dying i blamed it all on that, took to auto parts store said it was good so had them charge .. brought ski back day 2 .. starter is solid for the first couple cranks no studder and ski sounds good but no fuel no start also the crank on the engine slowly winded down and then a clicking started in the electrical box i assumed that was a sign of the battery finally giving up ... now ive got a ski that just clicks a new motor, new starter ( Which i now think is bad) and a ski that wont start.. T

    Things i have done and know now just so you guys know where im at :

    1. i learned that the choke has to be pulled and held till engine starts.. did this second time not first ..never started before bought and restored so i wasent aware u had to do this untill second time i tried..

    2. Checked ground to starter and positive both tight..

    3. Checked Starter solinoid its good.

    4. would check fuse i read about in the electrical box but didnt see this in electrical box???

    5. checked all fuses to mpem all good.. also my info center has water in the screen.. and didnt work at first but has since come on and gone off at will dont know if this matters but let you guys know anyway..

    6. had carbs rebuilt all new parts installed.. new fuel lines also a inline fuel filter before carbs.. which hasent filled up yet ..

    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I AM AT MY WITS END LOL

    Uh, I had previous problems with other skis that sounds just like yours. SOMETIMES, those auto parts battery's don't have the current required to turn the motor over. Try this, Remove the spark plugs completly from the head and try to crank it. if it spins normal then its your battery not having enough amps. I always stick with either Yuasa or odesey.

  3. #3
    98GSXLIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hot Springs AR
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2
    Uh, I had previous problems with other skis that sounds just like yours. SOMETIMES, those auto parts battery's don't have the current required to turn the motor over. Try this, Remove the spark plugs completly from the head and try to crank it. if it spins normal then its your battery not having enough amps. I always stick with either Yuasa or odesey.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks a lot man I'm currently using an advance auto parts battery it's model number ETX16 I'm not exactly sure this is a perfect match any suggestions on a better one would be awesome !!

  4. #4
    98GSXLIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hot Springs AR
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2
    It's currently not turning over at all I guess before I take starter out I will try a different brand battery ...

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    East of DFW
    Posts
    244
    +1
    21
    Battery is likely not the problem. You can possibly have a bad battery cable. You need to do a voltage drop test on both ends of all three cables. Make sure the ground connections are clean and solidly mounted.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,833
    +1
    119
    try jumping the starter relay.

  7. #7
    98GSXLIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hot Springs AR
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    try jumping the starter relay.
    Whats the best thing to use .. Screw driver or piece of wire sorry I'm a newb

  8. #8
    AndinoWatercraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    306
    +1
    4
    Can use both. Be carefull. IMO all points the battery is weak maybe for a bad prep or if it's a sealed one One will never know for sure for how long It was sitting there till you bought it.. Hapened to me twice.
    On the other hand you mentioned the fuel filter not filling up. Since you replace the fuel lines make sure they are put on the right order . Not saying it's wrong but also happened to me that I misplace the lines and discharge the battery trying to start the engine lol.. Check the pulse line (the one that goes from the cases to the carb) Check the fuel valve for any obstruction .

    just my .02

  9. #9
    98GSXLIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hot Springs AR
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by AndinoWatercraft View Post
    Can use both. Be carefull. IMO all points the battery is weak maybe for a bad prep or if it's a sealed one One will never know for sure for how long It was sitting there till you bought it.. Hapened to me twice.
    On the other hand you mentioned the fuel filter not filling up. Since you replace the fuel lines make sure they are put on the right order . Not saying it's wrong but also happened to me that I misplace the lines and discharge the battery trying to start the engine lol.. Check the pulse line (the one that goes from the cases to the carb) Check the fuel valve for any obstruction .

    just my .02

    Thanks for the info! That's what I'm thinking.. battery first ! will check solenoid tonight an see if this at least engages the starter now .. That's what was so weird to me was once it did the run down battery thing and the starter stopped I haven't got it to engage again .. Guessing its because of the battery being weak.. Also never got a beep on this thing at all anyone have a link to buzzer replacement Its funny u mentioned the pulse line I did initially have the 5/16 line on the pulse instead of 1/4 and fixed that before second try out.. Know that was part of the reason I didn't get fuel .. I did clean the fuel selector switch and cup filter so the cup was empty of fuel when I first tried to start.. I then siphoned gas from tank an placed in cup for my second try out.. This just made fuel suck off top and didn't fill the cup back up until I started using choke.. But still not made it to inline fuel filter before carbs.. There is some slack in my line before the carb so I could try by passing filter thought maybe this was reducing the pulse in the line .. But first!!! Must get it to turn over again

  10. +1 by:


  11. #10
    98GSXLIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hot Springs AR
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by 98GSXLIM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndinoWatercraft View Post
    Can use both. Be carefull. IMO all points the battery is weak maybe for a bad prep or if it's a sealed one One will never know for sure for how long It was sitting there till you bought it.. Hapened to me twice.
    On the other hand you mentioned the fuel filter not filling up. Since you replace the fuel lines make sure they are put on the right order . Not saying it's wrong but also happened to me that I misplace the lines and discharge the battery trying to start the engine lol.. Check the pulse line (the one that goes from the cases to the carb) Check the fuel valve for any obstruction .

    just my .02

    Thanks for the info! That's what I'm thinking.. battery first ! will check solenoid tonight an see if this at least engages the starter now .. That's what was so weird to me was once it did the run down battery thing and the starter stopped I haven't got it to engage again .. Guessing its because of the battery being weak.. Also never got a beep on this thing at all anyone have a link to buzzer replacement Its funny u mentioned the pulse line I did initially have the 5/16 line on the pulse instead of 1/4 and fixed that before second try out.. Know that was part of the reason I didn't get fuel .. I did clean the fuel selector switch and cup filter so the cup was empty of fuel when I first tried to start.. I then siphoned gas from tank an placed in cup for my second try out.. This just made fuel suck off top and didn't fill the cup back up until I started using choke.. But still not made it to inline fuel filter before carbs.. There is some slack in my line before the carb so I could try by passing filter thought maybe this was reducing the pulse in the line .. But first!!! Must get it to turn over again


    Update batt was completly gone when I got home took it back to auto parts store and got another battery it's not AGM so have to charge tonight and give her a try tomorrow.. Thanks again got all the help !! It's greatly appreciated

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 98 GSX Limited idle, Throttle Help
    By WayneS in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 07:38 PM
  2. Just got a 98' GSX limited, any thoughts
    By fitnessguy in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
  3. Question about my 98 GSX limited PLEASE HELP
    By fitnessguy in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM
  4. 98 GSX Limited for $4200 good deal or not?
    By zdowell in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 04:21 PM
  5. 98 Gsx Limited
    By petros the plumber in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •